FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Terrible anxiety

BobRoberts
Community Member

Hi guys,

I have battled anxiety and panic attacks for as long as I can remember. It seems to be an hereditary thing, because my maternal side all has the same issues (although none of it is ever spoken about).

I work in a high profile/high stress job. It’s very visible and I do my best to cope.

Catastrophising and the anxious “loop” my mind gets into, is so draining and frightening.

I’ve been seeing a great psychologist and my exercise program is helping me a lot.

I just can’t seem to shake it, even when I’m managing it well, I still get shocking pangs that stop me in my tracks. Sweats, rushing to the bathroom, pacing around the room.

My job makes it worse.

Problem is I’m good at it and passionate about it. Im just wondering if this is sustainable? Do I need to quit, and take on something that won’t trigger me as often and as powerfully? Or will my anxiety just follow me to whatever job I do?

Thanks very much.

1 Reply 1

SammyB
Community Member

Hi BobRoberts,

Your situation sounds very overwhelming. On one hand it looks like you are making your mental health a priority by seeing a psychologist, following your exercise program, and maintaining a job that you are truly passionate about. On the other hand, you recognize that your job comes with a lot of stress, triggering shocking pangs and are making things worse.

I think some questions to ask are, is your workplace a healthy workplace and would your employer support you through your battle with anxiety and panic attacks? Can you safely disclose your mental health condition at work?

If you haven’t already disclosed your mental health condition at work, Heads Up has a great disclosure tool that helps with weighing the pros and cons of doing so and provides support with how to start the conversation in the workplace: https://www.headsup.org.au/your-mental-health/talking-about-a-mental-health-condition-at-work/disclosure-tool

I guess the question is, as you’ve already mentioned, is your job sustainable? Are you able to put in place similar supports at work as you have done in your life outside of work? I understand these are some tough questions to answer. I would suggest asking your psychologist more about this if you haven’t already done so. Wish you all the best.