FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Teleconference anxiety

VG_
Community Member

Hi everyone,

I’m new to the forum, hello! I was hoping you might have some feedback on what I can do with a problem I have.

I just started a new job and I feel like this issue I’ve had before is exacerbated, where when I have to speak in teleconference meetings sometimes I feel performance anxiety, can’t speak properly, my voice is shaky, I lose my breath and I just lose track of what I’m saying! It rarely happens in face to face meetings.

I don’t think it’s as noticeable for the others on the call as it is for me. It’s so bad I have even thrown up before a meeting because I was worried it would happen (and it did!).

Does anyone else feel this way and would this be something I can seek help about with a professional? It’s really disheartening and I feel like I’m my own worst enemy! It’s weird because I know exactly what I need to say and often even write it down beforehand.

Thankyou - any comments would be greatly appreciated and I hope you’re all hanging in there during these tough times.

10 Replies 10

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi VG

Thanks for taking the time to reply! I have been in senior corporate roles for a few decades and understand the feelings you have been going through..especially when I started a new role...I also seemed to be anxious when I had a teleconference coming up....

Its not silly at all bringing up a smiling photo....That is a smart move....Whatever works is fine

just a note...you are successful not only by achieving your new position VG....also by being so proactive (Confident) enough to post as well as you have!

please let us know your thoughts/how you feel

Nice1 VG 🙂

my kind thoughts

Paul