FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Sudden anxiety from intrusive thoughts

Littlebluescent
Community Member

Hi,

The last few days, I've suddenly found myself ridden with anxiety to the point I'm struggling to enjoy things I usually enjoy. The past year, I've found myself coping with the Pandemic pretty well considering. The other day I found myself spiraling into deep thoughts. I don't want to be specific because I don't want to trigger it. Whenever I go anywhere now, I find myself fearing or getting anxious that something bad is going to happen. I was sitting in a sauna today, and my mind went straight to 'what if someone locked the door and I couldn't get out'. This thought led to me leaving the sauna. The last time I felt this anxious was 2 years ago when my ex and I broke up. I think I just completely freaked myself out and I understand adding fuel to these thoughts give them power. Each morning, I've thought 'today is a new day' and then the thoughts pop up again and my head struggles to come back down to reality.

Any support is much appreciated.

Thank you.

4 Replies 4

Not_Batman
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi littlebluescent

i certainly understand how you are feeling, and you are not alone. those thoughts can get the better of us, and make us think we’re in some sort of horror movie, but there are some strategies you can use that help to minimise the impact of the thoughts.

the main thing is that you remain safe, and not put yourself in any danger. strategies such as mindfulness, a body scan, cognitive behaviour therapy, or acceptance and commitment therapy, are ones that help me. If you are participating in professional therapy, they can help you with all of those.

it is very good of you to make the distinction between thought and reality. With the thoughts logic disappears, but you can bring the logic back which will allow you to enjoy the sauna.

You are right “today is a New day”Keep sharing those thoughts.

Not_Batman

Twilight726
Community Member

I can relate with the sudden burden of anxiety and its ability to somehow take hold of my usual enjoyments. It confuses me too, with how quick it comes on, what causes it, what it is in general...

I cried tonight on my drive home from a friends house, a usual hangout on a Monday night after the gym; though earlier today I put my Gym mebership on hold due to not having gone in 5 weeks...I've lost the motivation. Anyway, I cried over the fear of my best mate losing interest in our friendship, of losing the vision of my future, and over the simple fact of this anxiety returning after finally feeling like I overpowered it.

I can't make sense of any of it, even though I've battled it in the past. I'm confused and it makes me angry, and upset. "Over-thinking" is a major element of it. Similar to your Sauna incident and the thought of getting locked in...something which isn't an immediate threat though our mind seems to force it upon us. I question why? What's triggered it again...

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Littlebluescent, intrusive thoughts seem to come from out of nowhere, arrive with a whoosh, and cause a great deal of anxiety and know exactly when it happens, but they can involve different various thoughts all depending on the person and the situation they're in.

People are ashamed and worried about them, and that's why they keep them secret and what these thoughts mean is that you unconsciously want to do the things that come to your mind but it's the opposite.

They feel so threatened because their anxious thinking takes over and they seem to have the power it does not and the harder they try to suppress them, the more these thoughts become.

'Logic does disappear' but all you need to do is think about one word in these thoughts, then that's all the trigger you need.

If you google 'intrusive thoughts' are type it in the search bar above then an enormous folder will open, and some replies might be able to help you, medication may also be to an advantage, but this deprends on the person

Please get back to us.

Geoff.

Littlebluescent
Community Member
Thank you all for your response. I am feeling a little bit better today, but I don't feel 100% myself. Usually I'm okay with being on my own and with my own thoughts, but at the moment, I'm struggling to be by myself without any distractions. I find myself wanting to be around people, or at least be watching or doing something. I have reached out to a few friends and they've been helpful. I'm just taking it one day at a time. I'll definitely look into all the suggestions that have been recommended. It helps to know that I am not alone in this.

Thanks again.