FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

I'm worried and paranoid that I'll get fired

Bluereader
Community Member
I work on a casual basis to support myself in my studies and I suffer from anxiety and Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS). Increasingly, I've been having to call in sick due to flare-ups of my IBS and it's causing my anxiety into overdrive. My managers know my health problems and are supportive but I'm scared that it won't be enough. I don't know what to do to calm myself down, I'm seeking treatment and support for my IBS but I keep getting a flare-up nearly every second week, I can't lose my job!
2 Replies 2

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion
Hi, welcome

The only thing that comes to mind is to try and compensate for the inconvenience you give your employer.

On good days perhaps work an extra hour without pay. When asked, mention "it's ok, you are good to me when my health is poor and I miss a shift, this is my way of showing my gratitude"

Google

Beyondblue topic worry worry worry

Beyondblue topic guilt the tormentor

Beyondblue topic anxiety, how I eliminated it

TonyWK

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Bluereader, I wonder whether your studies are also contributing to your IBS as well as the anxiety, which then may be transferred to your work and the need to miss shifts.

I realise people can have this illness, but sometimes it can be aggravated by something in particular.

Hope to hear back from you.

Geoff.