FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Struggling to cope with anxiety and insomnia

LorelaiLee
Community Member

Hi guys,

So awhile ago a specific event triggered an episode of increased anxiety and insomnia in my life. I had been sick with the flu and this caused me to snore. My snoring would then wake me up several times a night. This in turn triggered my anxiety, I began to worry I’d never sleep properly again as every time I dozed off I’d wake myself up ten minute later. I obsessed on it for weeks on end.

Nearly three months later my anxiety is still high but seems to have shifted to a new topic. In researching sleep problems, which have occurred on and off through my life, I came across this ridiculously rare disease and now I’m convinced I have it (as if I don’t have enough going on). I know it’s silly but the idea has stuck and I can’t shake it. I think I’m now experiencing health anxiety, something else I’ve had problems with.

I’m anxious all day. I’m scared of going to bed at night. I’m tired, irritable and am starting to exhibit other sleep deprivation symptoms too. Sometimes it’s hard to concentrate, I struggle more with communicating and occasionally get tongue tied or mix up words while speaking. I’m tired but when I go to bed, my body/mind seems intent on keeping me awake. When I doze off, I jolt awake again. My muscles twitch sometimes.

I guess I’m just looking for confirmation I’m not alone. Are these normal patterns for anxiety and insomnia? My partner is sympathetic but doesn’t struggle with these issues so I feel he doesn’t understand. I’m set on seeing a psychologist, something I’ve never done before.

Im glad I have found this community and hope we can help each other through our hard times 😊

3 Replies 3

stormcloudz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi LorelaiLee

Welcome and sorry it's taken a little while to get a response : )

I have definitely had the experience of mixing up words due to anxiety, I think it's because our brains are in a bit of overload. I've also had trouble falling asleep, and yes I twitch a bit!

I have also spent a lot of time trying to understand symptoms on the Internet - for a long time I didn't realize that anxiety could cause all this stuff so I was quite confused.

Could you talk to your GP about the symptoms and your concern about the specific illness that you researched? Your GP may then be able to rule it out and you can take that off your mind.

In the meantime, what helps with your anxiety? Is there anything that works for you?

It's a good idea to go to a psychologist. The good ones help you to work out what's going on and to develop some strategies to manage the anxiety, which is good for you and everyone in your life. Good on you for being set on that, it's a really healthy thing to do.

Gwok
Community Member
OMG I know exactly what your saying re the anxiety! It's hell. For me it's turned a reasonably normal (?) woman into an over anxious nit wit! Sooooo frustrating. Medical probs set me off and a simple sniffle can turn into a brain tumor with hours to live! I know it's rediculous but how to stop it? Well, I'm trying deep breathing meditation and it's helping may be give it a go. It takes time to really learn it and I almost gave up but it's something I can do anywhere even the dental surgery! 😖 I've also upped my vitamin intake so hoping that helps too. Confronting the fear as quickly as I can saves days of crippling anxiety too. We are renovating at the moment and I've discovered I'm not a happy renovator, don't think this helps with the anxiety at all! Trying to keep life as calm as possible can be hard too but make sure you get some time to yourself and keep telling yourself that your strong and you can conquer this. Doesn't always work but most of the time it does. I think it helps justo know your not the only one with these feelings. ❤️

stormcloudz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

PS if you are on medications for depression/anxiety, do mention these issues to your doctor in case they are side-effects (which can usually be managed).

You may be interested in the online health anxiety course provided by St Vincents Hospital - google This Way Up and you'll find it.