FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Stigma And Discrimination Around Mental Illness

Sweesoft
Community Member
You can't get much braver than doing your absolute best to stay alive and keep going when every single cell in your body is screaming at you to stop, give up, and quit. These feelings are not helped by being told by friends and family to just get on with it when my anxiety takes a dive. Mental illness is serious and the stigma and discrimination around mental illnesses is disgraceful and needs to be destroyed.
4 Replies 4

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Sweetsoft, you make an excellent point because people don't realise that having an unexpected chat at some ridiculous time in the middle of the night, with a friend who lives many miles away or perhaps close by, don't understand how important this conversation is to them, simply because the wrong wording or disinterest in what the person is actually saying can be pivotal to the outcome.

The stigma associated with mental illness can certainly determine whether or not people seek the help they desperately need, in fear of discrimination, being avoided or labelled as such, but what makes it worse, and I've certainly done it, is to pretend to there's nothing wrong, because as soon as they are alone the feeling becomes so intense and tends to close the door even further.

Mental illness should be taught at an early age in school because even these kids know that mum and dad are fighting or an auntie/grandparent aren't permitted to visit as they disrupt the well being in the family.

Mental illness was taboo years ago, it wasn't to be discussed under any circumstances, now it has become more open, but it's still got a long way to go, that's exactly why young kids need to know why mummy isn't talking to daddy and the possible reasons.

Take care.

Geoff.

Summer Rose
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Sweesoft

I’m so sorry that you haven’t received the support that you needed from those around you. It’s an extra challenge that you just didn’t need.

From my experience, there are three types of people in this world.Those who get it, those who want to get it and those who will never get it. The challenge is to spot the difference and learn when to put in the “educational” effort and when to walk away.

I guess what I’m saying is, you’re not alone with your hurt and frustration. You hang in there.

We all get it. Congratulations to you for ploughing on through your storm. You keep going, head held high, and please take comfort knowing that your kindred spirits from the forum support and applaud your efforts.

Kind thoughts to you

Guest_4643
Community Member

Hey Sweesoft, I completely agree with you.

I'm sorry you've been let down and stigmatised, so have I, many times, and I'm very hesitant to seek help again (Psychologists), so I understand how you feel.

You're worthy of support and help, love, etc. and I hope you find something and someone that works for you.

Unfortunately people like your family just don't get it, and they don't want to, and that's their fault, not yours. As you said, you're doing your best, and I'm proud of you.

We're here for you.

Emmen
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Dear Sweesoft,

I'm sorry you've been let down by family and friends. It's true that nobody would dismiss a physical illness, so why is mental illness any different? It takes a lot of bravery and persistence to keep pushing when everything seems to be set against you.

I wish for a day when stigma around mental illnesses is a thing of the past. But alas, that seems to be some time away. In the meantime, I take comfort in the fact that we do have groups like this forum where people do care, where people understand.

Keep pressing on in your journey to recovery.

Take care,
M