FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Severe Anxiety after a night out drinking alcohol

E123
Community Member

Hey guys I'm having a lot of trouble with anxiety after a weekend of binge drinking. I know I shouldn't have done it but I have and now I'm finding it really hard to cope. I keep thinking that everyone hates me, I have no friends, over thinking everything and my partner isn't talking to me which is making things so much worse. Someone please help me get through this tough time. My mind is killing me.

4 Replies 4

Chris_B
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi E123,

Welcome to the forums and sorry to hear you're doing it tough at the moment. You're not alone in having the experience of anxiety flaring up after a bout of drinking. Have a look through the threads below which have come up on the forum previously, and please feel free to revive them:

Anxiety after night out drinking?

Drinking anxiety

Anxiety and alcohol equals despair

Anxiety, depression and alcohol

Beltane
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hiya, sorry to hear you're doing it tough. Hopefully some of the threads Chris linked you to will give you some ideas on how to cope with this.

Is there something you did on the weekend (or maybe you cant remember what you did) thats causing such anxiety? Could you have an open an honest conversation with your partner and a close friend or two about what happened? once you find out what happened you can sort out any problems, like apologise if you did something wrong, or clear up any issues caused.

Sorry I'm not more helpful, i've never actually really drunk alcohol before, so i'm afraid i'm no use to you. i really hope someone has some better suggestions. in the meantime feel free to post again, or follow up those other threads, and talk more about what happened thats bothering you so much

Pixie15
Community Member

Hi E123,

How are you doing?

Unfortunately I do know what it is like to drink too much. I am wondering if you were suffering some anxiety before the binge drinking. I know that drinking can appear to make it easier to socialize. Unfortunately it is a mood depressant and can maybe leave you open to engaging in behavior which you would not normally consider acceptable. 

Please let us know how you are going.

Grateful.

Onion33
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

This seems to be a really common problem these days, so you aren't alone. I have lots of friends with no other anxiety issues who experience this after drinking. I was never a big drinker, and now I don't drink at all because even the thought of a hangover makes me feel anxious.

Set yourself a two drink limit. You might be surprised how much fun you can have sober! The anxiety is just not worth it