FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Returning to work after workplace discrimination and bullying causing anxiety

Angel_hand
Community Member

Hi

after 2.5 years of poor treatment at work, I am now diagnosed with acute anxiety. I am on stress leave at the moment and my manager have ask me to provide a letter from my doctor saying that I’m deems to return to work. My question is... how can a doctor say that if our anxiety is cause from the circumstances and situation... my anxiety comes from the way they treat me. Can anyone advise if you have been asked for this certification to say you are deems to be fit for work, noting that I work indoor, at my desk. Thank you

3 Replies 3

PamelaR
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Angel_hand and warm welcome to our community forums.

It's good you've made your way here. There are lots of supportive members here. Having acute anxiety from bullying and harassment is awful. I have seen this happen in places I've worked.

Yes I have been asked to provide certification to say the doctor deems me fit for work. I too worked indoors at a desk. It was after my breakdown and as I mended and was ready to return they began a program for me to 'Return to Work'. Being honest with your doctor and or health professional is important. They are able to make the right assessments and reports as needed.

Bullying and harassment cases are taken very seriously these days by 'most' employers. They have to because of litigation that has occurred over the years from those who haven't listened.

Have you been allocated a Return to Work Coordinator? I.e. someone who is your support when you return?

Hope some of this helps Angel.

Kind regards

PamelaR

Chispa
Community Member

Hi Angel_hand,

I have a similar situation, although I already knew I suffered from anxiety it was made incredibly worse by bullying and general high stress in my workplace. I took 9 months off and tried to come back on a return to work plan, but in my case this made my symptoms worse because HR had little interest in actually supporting staff and made life difficult for me - so if you do arrange a return to work program, just make sure your HR is more supportive than mine.

As for the medical certificate, the doctor wrote that I have “a medical condition but this has recently sufficiently resolved for her to return to normal duties from...” The idea behind the phrasing was not saying I was “better”, because I’m not, but giving me clearance to go back to work (which I needed to) while making it clear this problem might arise again...I guess in the hope that people would be mindful of this in their treatment of me. (Anxiety was not listed on my medical certificate, but I was income protection so HR already knew about my illnesses). I really thought about if the doctor should give any reason for my anxiety in a letter or on the medical certificate, but I figured this would not help my immediate goal which was getting back to work. If it is to try to adjust your work conditions or treatment, maybe a separate letter would be helpful?

The dilemma when it’s work causing your issues is whether or not to do something about it. The attempts I made made things worse. It’s very difficult when you’re suffering from anxiety to successfully address these issues in the workplace, which is a catch 22 I guess. Because of the bad results of my attempts to improve the situation, I decided not to take things further. I’ve just tried to separate myself from drama and difficult people.

My resolution was to see if I could do this and if not, to work on finding a new job. I survived my first 4 months but as of yesterday things started again so I’ll start looking for a new job this weekend. Every workplace will have issues, but I’m hoping to find one that’s not as bad as my current one.

If you feel strong enough to go through a complaints process about the bullying, just make sure you have everything documented and you have someone to support you.

Sorry I’ve rambled a bit because it’s 4am and I’m awake stressing about this most recent issue so I’m not entirely with it I guess, but hopefully there was something helpful in this for you 🙂

Summer Rose
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Angel_hand

Welcome to the forum.

You've already been given some good advice so I won't repeat it. As an employer I can add a bit from a different perspective.

If you have been away from work for an extended period of time on sick leave for stress and your employer know this, it's reasonable for your employer to request such a letter. Your employer has a responsibility to provide a safe workplace and ensure that workplace conduct, behaviour and activities do not csuse illness or injury. They also have an obligation to know that you are fit for duty before they let you return to work.

Doctors can and do attribute psychological injuries and illness to workplace incidents, behaviour and conduct. Some people in this situation make claims for Work Cover, rather than using their own sick leave. Then the "system" kicks in to help you return to work safely.

You state that your workplace is responsible for your injury and illness. This makes me wonder if you have considered a workcover claim. Of course the point could be irrelevant if you are genuinely ready to return to work. Do you feel you are ready? What has changed at your workplace to ensure you will suffer no further injury?

If you want further information about your rights and options in this situation you can contact Fair Work.

I've posed lots of questions I know, no pressure to answer.

Kind thoughts to you