FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Quitting job due to anxiety - what now?

Sylvia770
Community Member

Hey guys - this is my first time posting so I am really nervous. To set the scene - I am a young woman in her early-mid 20's and have struggled getting and holding down a job my whole adult life. I have had anxiety since I was a child and suffered from depression as a teenager. I am also both shy and introverted. I recently quit a job I had in finance in a customer service role as I just could not stand it anymore, only to walk into another job in finance that's main focus is on selling a financial product. As most of you can imagine, when you're shy, anxious and introverted any job that involves excessive customer contact is the equivalent of hell on earth. I've only worked this job for a week and am already getting heart palpitations every morning I wake up for work. I'm even anxious about working on the days I am not working. As I have substantial savings from my previous job, I have decided to prioritise my mental health and quit today. The only thing is - I don't know where to next. I am close to finishing a bachelor's degree in health science but don't have any other qualifications. I have around 3 years of general admin experience, but no real technical skills. Has anyone been in a similar position before? Moreover - has anyone been able to find a part time or full time job that doesn't exasperate your anxiety? I am just looking for ideas and a little guidance.

4 Replies 4

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Sylvia, welcome, I think I can help.

So, you will quite work today and you are near finishing your degree (well done). But anxiety has taken hold and job choice currently is an issue.

I had anxiety (conquered, more on that later), had 90 jobs or more, 15 professions and apart from one great profession never stayed in one job longer than 18 months. This was mainly due to hypomania from bipolar that was eventually diagnosed. But it isn't unusual for this type of instability to be present in any mental illness. Rather than us fitting into a profession...the profession must fit into us!

Our basic needs are- sleep- no shift work eg no working midnight to 6am to enable regular sleep patterns. No customer service especially food or pressure jobs with long queues that cause panicking. Working alone if possible or with people with empathy (which most health workers have- tick!)

So please don't feel bad/abnormal for quitting your job. I can recall criticism when a young adult when moving from job to job and it wasn't nice. These special needs are initially hard to accept but we are special people with special requirements in order to survive in society the best we can. We also underestimate our symptoms so be aware of that.

I've selected some threads that will most definitely help you. Just read the first post of each unless they really grab you.

https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/relationship-and-family-issues/fortress-of-survival-part-3-(workplace)

https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/anxiety/anxiety-how-l-eliminated-it

https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/staying-well/planning-a-healthier-mind

https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/depression/workplace-absenteeism-

https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/staying-well/depression--is-there-any-positive-

That is a taste of the enormous library we have here. Just use the search bar.

By far part time jobs are the best for us. That allows a short time in each environment, staggered times gives variety.

So my last job was running my own business as a PI. That lasted a huge 18 years (I'm 63yo). I worked alone, in control, worked the hours I wanted mostly, spoke on the phone to clients rather than face to face and so on. However- I did eventually have 2 psychotic episodes that retired me at 57yo so be prepared.

You've realized that you are unique with special needs. You are helping your life's journey by personifying it.

TonyWK

Willo123
Community Member

Hi sylvia770

i can’t relate to this 100%! I quit a job Monday that I had for 3 days because I couldn’t cope! Was going down hill very quick!

I just wanted to tell you your not alone! I put my mental health first and I’m doing better already because of it.

I hope you get through this difficult time

CoraC
Community Member

Welcome Sylvia770

Many of us, me included, can relate to your situation.

it can be really hard to find a job that ticks your boxes. I have found it useful over time to identify what I didn't enjoy in the jobs I have disliked, so I can try and look out for those issues in future. That's not easy though, as you generally don't know what the job, people, culture etc is going to be like until you start. I personally have found initially going in on a short term contract, or temping, with possibility of extension to be good as you can test the water. If you don't like it, you can just leave when the contract ends. For me, the important thing isn't necessarily the job itself, but the people.

Over time, as my anxiety has increased, often due to work, I have taken on less challenging roles with a lower level of responsibility. This has been financially difficult but necessary to manage my health. I have found that works best for me.

There are different online surveys you can take to identify what jobs you might be suited to. Maybe you could try and do administrative work in the type of organisation you think you might like to work for once you've finished study? Then you've got a foot in the door and a chance to hear about other opportunities.

All the best.

reaktion
Community Member

Hi, i also can relate to your situation.

I made the mistake of quiting a job 3 months ago because i had stopped taking my medication and anxiety took over. My wife even told me i should get back on my medication but at the time i thought it was the job and the people i was working with were the problem.

I regret not listening to her and i found myself in a new job which was a toxic environment and i was on medication.

So i ended up leaving that job and started a new job 2 weeks ago and i am extremely overwhelmed with this job because everything has to be 100% perfect and there is alot to remember.

i even worked for a company for 10 years and everyday was full of anxiety even tho i knew what i was doing and was a senior member of the company.

Un fortunately, what i have found is that my anxiety doesn't care what company i worked for.

I know how you feel about allways anxious about work on your days off aswell. I getting anxious right now knowing i got to get up in the morning and go to work.

I hope you do find a position that you want to do and doesn't effect your anxiety.