FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pyrrole Disorder

seanwild
Community Member
HI I have GAD and have been taking SSRI and SNRI regularly over the last 20 years, every time I feel like I am on track my anxiety level can get to a point where I feel overwhelmed and can get symptoms of not being anlbe to think clearly impacting my ability to work and eventually withdrawing from work, social connection and even family and friends. This happens to me on different strength levels of medication. If have a learnt CBT techniques, deep breathing and relaxtion to stillness meditation and walk regularly as my bag of tricks. My wife suggested I consult a Natrapath, undergo some tests and tame supplemts to compliment the medication. THe Natrapath would like me tested for Pyrrole disorder. Has anyone had success in taking supplements whilst taking SNRI or SSRI - Sean 
4 Replies 4

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, welcome

Hopefully a member has some knowledge on that disorder.

In the meantime I have a post for you to read. Some action I've noticed you have already tried.

Google: beyondblue topic anxiety,  how I eliminated it 

TonyWK 

thx white knight 

tmas
Community Member

Hi Sean,

As always, I would recommend a second opinion. From what I’ve read pyrrole disorder is considered somewhat fringe - while vitamin and dietary deficiencies can affect your mood, that in itself is probably not likely the single cause of such a long term issue. Articles endorsing this diagnosis claim that 10% of the population have this disorder and it’s to blame for neurodivergence and a factor in most mental illness - it would make more sense for mineral deficiencies in these people are related to diet or comorbidities. 

If you take supplements, generally you should speak to a gp - these supplements often aren’t regulated and doubling up dosages can have adverse affects (eg B vitamins can cause toxicity). 

I understand (very well) how the hopelessness can set in, and a clear explanation seems like a relief, but chances are these things are systemic. I also know that after several years on medications, when I came off them completely (when it was right timing for me) my brainfog and apathy actually improved somewhat, though I never felt they were caused by the meds at the time. Improving your physical health would help no doubt, but just some food for thought. 

therising
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Sean

I greatly admire those who seriously begin to wonder about all the possible influences behind certain mental health challenges. Whether the challenges relate to depression, anxiety or something else, I've discovered over the years there really is so much worth wondering about when it comes to how we tick. I find the 3 key categories worth wondering about tend to involve mental, physical and natural or what relates to our nature.

Physically, chemical imbalances are definitely worth looking into, as are gut imbalances. 'Gut-brain axis' is a fascinating topic, especially when it comes to anxiety. The nervous system and the vagus nerve are a couple of other interesting ones worth researching. My daughter once led me to research 'General Adaptation Syndrome' (GAS) which really opened my eyes to how we can't always feel the lead up to mental, emotional and physical exhaustion but can definitely feel the impact when it gets to the 3rd stage of GAS. So much more to learn when it comes to who we are on a physical level, including how natural supplementation can interact adversely with or compliment certain pharmaceuticals.

Mentally, inner dialogue can be a mongrel (putting it mildly). Mental programs/belief systems that are long overdue for deletion can also be a major factor. Hyperactive thinking/mental processing is definitely another key challenge, especially when we've got so much on our plate. Learning to slow it down and create a sense of order (from a swirling vortex of stressful stuff to a linear list of manageable things) is so tough at times. The list goes on with the mental challenges.

From a natural perspective, if we're sensitive enough to the energy in motion within our body, we're definitely going to feel it (that e-motion), whether there's too much or not enough. We'll feel the circumstances or people who stress us, depress us, overwhelm us etc. We'll feel our tolerance levels as well as our tipping point. We'll feel the chemical effects of the rights meds or supplements and the effects of a sudden shift in our chemistry for one reason or another. If we're sensitive enough we'll also feel such things as heartache and inspiration. Both have a very distinct feel to them. There is just so much to feel.

Sounds like you have a brilliant natural bag of tricks you're looking to add to.