FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Panic attacks while asleep???

ruruibby
Community Member

Hey guys

so last night something happened to me and it has left me feeling shaken up all day!

I was having a dream, I was sitting in my backyard with some people I don’t know and I had a dog. This dog came and sat beside me on the bench and put its head on my lap, all of a sudden this horrible feeling came over me, like someone was sucking the breath out of me, or like I was being possessed as they say. It’s hard to explain, I didn’t feel like I was suffocating but the sensation was horrible... it woke me up and the feeling was there like it never happened in the dream it was actually happening! All of a sudden that wave of fear came over me and I really did think that I was dying, I was scared and that heavy horrible feeling I get in my chest came, I was shaken and I didn’t know what to do or where to go.... has anyone ever experienced night time panic attacks? Does this sound like what this could be?

1 Reply 1

iamanxiety
Community Member
Hey Ruru,

I'm not sure if I have read it correctly but I suffer from deppression and anxiety. in my case it rarely displays itself in my dreams but it has happened and like you as soon as I woke I am in distress with the same emotions as in the dream. the feelings can be overwealing even if not at all based in reallaity.

I sometimes stay in bed and keep dwelling on the negative emotions wich is the worst thing to do. if this happens and I force myself to get up and get my mind on something else, even having a shower these feelings tend to fade. in saying that it is tough force myself into another situation.

so no you are not alone.

Andrew