FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Panic attacks - how to cope

Emmy.
Community Member

Hi,

I've recently started having panic attacks and always try to have an "escape plan" if I'm going somewhere new and try to divert my attention if I feel like I'm going to start having a panic attack.  My pschologist says this is the wrong thing to do.

What does everyone else do when they feel an attack coming on?

2 Replies 2

TJ80
Community Member

Hi Emmy

I'm sorry to hear about your worries from panic attacks.

I myself, had a panic disorder and I felt them building for a few days before they hit. Once I had one, I felt great afterwards (like a big release of nervous energy, gone!) So I use to tell myself that if I did have an attack, then it wouldn't be so bad because that build up would be gone.

I confided in a trusted co-worker about them at work and when the time came and I knew an attack was coming, I simply asked my co-worker to come with me to a room away from anyone else and I would then have the attack. Sometimes when someone is with you, it can make them easier.

But you pschycologist is right- dont run away, or avoid going places. This snowballs, and you could end up so frightened to leave your house, it could effect your life dramatically.

I faced my fears and kept on going places, and pushing through the fear (always ensuring I knew where the exits were..just in case) Now I dont have any attacks at all. Even though I kept thinking I would, it turns out, 99% of the time you won't.  

Keep on going, it'll get better... Best of Luck.

integrityguy
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Emmy

TJ80 is spot on ... trying to escape from a panic attack or distract yourself could potentially increase your fear of it. Panic attacks are inconvenient and make you feel uncomfortable, but they're not catastrophic or the end of the world.

I suffer from moderate anxiety and the occasional panic attack myself. What works for me? Firstly, I try to observe the physical symptoms of the attack while it's happening. Being aware of how your body is reacting can potentially give you more control over it. I know from past experience that the panic attack will pass.

Sometimes wake up abruptly in the middle of the night (or first thing in the morning) with a racing heart, which could potentially be a panic attack. Usually in that waking moment (for me) there's a bit of disorientation, and I can sometimes take advantage of that to disconnect the panic from any thoughts which might be making it happen. I suspect it's the subconscious at work.

All the best.