FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Noise anxiety

PeggySue92
Community Member

Hi all, this is my first time posting and I suffer from noise anxiety.

My noise anxiety only exists in my own home, I work in a noisy office environment and this is not a trigger at all. In the past we have had noisy neighbours, air-con units, loud music etc all causing me to think about when the noise will happen again and this causes me to worry about constantly. Even to the point of missing out on enjoying things because I need to try and control situations.

At the moment we are in our own house and the neighbours have a dog that barks ALL THE TIME. It’s sensitive to everything and anything and is causing me anxiety because we cant go out to our backyard without being aggressively barked at. The issue has been brought up with the neighbours and they are aware that the barking is disturbing me and my family but not a lot has been done.

I'm tired of worrying and thinking the worst of what ‘might’ happen.

I'd like to hear from anyone that suffers the same type of anxiety and if they have tips on how to deal with it.

Thank you.

44 Replies 44

Hi Elli J's

im glad i found these post because it made me feel like i wasn't the only one who suffers and that am not alone. I ahve neighbours who are just inconsiderate when it comes to the amount the noise they make. eg imagine your just relaxing in you room and you hear constant banging which comes from a ball hitting against a metal shed. yep thats what i go through and to be honest it is exhausting. I feel like a prisoner in my own home from the constant noise.

But the root of it all comes from the noisy party people who lived next to my family decided to have and it went on for hours! even days! although that ordeal is over i still feel the effects todays of what happened.

I feel the same way but noise cancelling headphone seem a bit much to be honest because there are people who just cannot afford it. I think by the end of the day it's all about the considerate nature of those who share the same space as you.

people just need to be considerate but you can't always get lucky with people who live next you. But i'm glad i came across these posts in a sense its comforting to know i'm not imagining things and going crazy from it!

Philomena
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Peggysue92

Put on your headphones and listen to some music so you don’t hear the noise. Or maybe go out for a walk enjoy nature.

It does get a lot troublesome with noise around you and when others do not understand. There are some situations in life that cannot be changed and you need to accept it maybe . This may be the first step to overcoming your anxiety acceptance of the situation .

Try to get involved in some activity that you like so that you are occupied with it and you don’t pay attention to the noise.

When things can’t be changed you have to work out something to be occupied with that could help you overcome your anxiety.

CourtneyJ
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

I relate so much to this.

There's certain sounds that take me from perfectly calm to aggravated in just a few secs. My whole body tenses and I get so angry it's like I'm going to explode and lash out physically. It's worse in confined spaces (like the bus) where it's amplified to the extreme. Repetitive things like sniffing, coughing, chewing or music with a deep bass line.

And then when the sound passes it's very hard to calm back down (mostly because I'm waiting for the annoying sound to start again).

For me distraction is the key. Stick in the headphones and listen to something else

Good luck!

Pip20
Community Member

I can relate to all of the comments.

I had is so bad I convinced my hubby to move to 6 acres in the bush, in hope to help me. This bought about a whole new level.

In general things were quieter, but now everything seems even louder and it's endless, now there are constant chainsaws, motorbikes, wood chopping, a lot of fire crackers, ride on mowers, whipper snippers that last for 6 hours straight, it's endless.

People think they have 5 acres and can just do anything, one neighbour is constantly riding their motorbikes around and around the 5 acres.

I have had to resort to noise cancelling headphone in the bush.

At least when I was in the city, I had the convenience of the city even though it was constantly noisy, and now I still have constant noise and no convenience. 2 hours drive to nearest doctors etc.

I feel so overwhelmed some days, I cry for hours, I feel I have made the worst decision ever. I uprooted our lives to try and help me, and now we can't afford to move back.

The chainsaws start at 7am in the morning and things don't stop until it's dark (I am grateful for winter as it gets dark quicker) I feel like I am always on edge, and the slightest noise tips me over, I instantly get very anxious and stressed as soon as it starts.

This morning it started at 6.30am, the neighbour has trucks and excavators on the block, I am totally overwhelmed.

Joshua76
Community Member

Hi PeggySue

Thank you for sharing your experience. I suffer from the same anxiety you describe, and it is very hard to manage. Reading the experience of you and others, on this discussion forum, has at least made me realise that I am not alone. What I have found helpful is to try and take some control; complaining to the Strata Committee and Building Manager, for example, and ensuring some action is taken. I had previously avoided noise cancelling headphones because I thought it was a sign of failure, but the reality is they work, and while it may not be fair to have to do this, it provides some control over the situation, and some peace and quiet.

JanHalen28
Community Member
Hi everyone. I've just joined, looking for an answer to my noise trigger which is loud music. It's a glorious sunny day outside but these are the days that put me on edge because my neighbors come out and crank up their stereos. Before 8am this morning I was asking one of them to turn down the music he had blaring from his car in the carport. No sooner had that stopped music starts thumping away on from the shed on the opposite side! I know the music can't hurt me but when it starts I get a physical reaction like a fight response (shaking, upset stomach). If my trigger is so specific could desensitizing therapy treat it? I work in a factory and can cope with some noise and I don't even get bothered if the neighbors have the occasional party...maybe my beef is the reason for the noise?

Pip20
Community Member

Hi JanHalen28,

I think you hit the nail on the head with you comment "maybe my beef is the reason for the noise?"

That was my thinking for ages, WHY, why do these people do this etc and another big thing was I would get frustrated and a little mad at myself for reacting to these noises, I felt silly for reacting so badly to specific noise that never seemed to bother my husband or anyone else, which caused me more anxiety.

Last week my clinical physiologist said to me, to be kind to myself during these times, accept that it upsets me and that it's OK, to stop being mad at myself for reacting as I have it really bad and I psychically react to it (heart beats faster, upset stomach, headaches etc)

I really thought I was alone in all of this until I saw this original post, but noise cancelling headphones are rally my savour.

Sorry Pip20 - the "quiet country life" is a myth. It's only as quiet as your worst neighbor. We are on 17 acres but there are still motorbikes and shooting. I can't believe how inconsiderate people are to their neighbors - and yes I suffer from noise anxiety. I think I get worst as I get older and it becomes more debilitating. I will try noise cancelling headphones but you still know the noise is there. Hell is other people I'm afraid.

I'm with you on that Uphillbattler,

I really thought moving to the country for a quieter life would help, but you are so spot on. The gunshots shock the crap out of me.

I feel so bad some days for uprooting my husband and my life in the city. I grew up in the country and loved every bit of it, but I must have been in my younger life "Bubble"

Guest_245
Community Member
Hello, this post hit a nail on the head for me because I feel I get a bit like this. For me, I tend to get irritated when someone is chewing an apple or really smacking their lips. I have heard there is word called " misophonia" which means hatred of sound