FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

New job, little training and a ton of anxiety.

MelStorey
Community Member

Hi all,

I’m feeling pretty terrible because I started a new job in a field of work that I have no experience in. I was upfront about my lack of experience during the interview process and they assured me that that was fine. I asked about a training plan, of which they told me they would provide.

The job requires me to cover a maternity contract for 6 months of which I would be working two days a week for six weeks prior to the 6 month contract. These two days would be spent training with the girl that I’m going to cover whilst she is on maternity leave.

I started two weeks ago and it’s clear how little this girl wants to train me. She pretty much gives me the most basic of information and then leaves me alone and expects me to be able to complete the work she has assigned me. It’s all so new and she doesn’t give me any context into the role or allocated tasks.

This leaves me with a huge degree of anxiety, to the point that I can’t sleep and my mind is racing all the time and I just want to leave. This girl who is training me doesn’t make any effort to follow up on my work or even ask how I’m going. She always seems exasperated when I ask for help and I believe she thinks I should be further along with my training. So far, I’ve only completed four days but I feel like I will struggle to undertake this job due to a lack of support.

Ive asked this girl to set aside time to answer my questions and spend time with me going over my notes. She said she would help but is yet to follow through. Don’t know if I should just quit due to lack of training and support.

5 Replies 5

White_Rose
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Dear MelStorey

Hello and welcome to the forum. I can hear your frustration in your words and it's reasonable to feel like this. When someone is supposed to give you training you expect they will make a reasonable job of it. I also can see how anxious this making you.

This is an area (maternity) that I am not familiar with but I do know about training. If I was training anyone I would be hands on all the time at least for several days. Some things I imagine you need someone to show you what and how to do it, and others you can do but need someone to check it is being done the way your new employer wants it don. Is this what you were expecting?

If I am correct I think there are two options for you. These do not include leaving the job. I would be very sorry if you gave up your job for this reason. You can insist on talking with your trainer somewhere quiet and explain how frustrated and anxious you are becoming. Be specific about what you need in the way of training. i.e. being shown how to do certain tasks or having your work checked. There should be no reason why this girl needs to leave you while you are learning. People are complex animals so trying to guess what is going on is probably not useful.

The second option is to make a complaint to your manager. I know this is not a pleasant thing to do. No one enjoys that sort of thing. I do want you to consider this before going straight to resigning. Explain to your manager that you have not done certain tasks in the past as you explained in your interview. You are also a little uncertain how this organisation does other tasks as every organisation does things differently. Perhaps they can give you another trainer who is more willing to show you the ropes, so to speak.

I have jumped straight into telling you some options which is not my usual way but from your post I can see you are upset and probably a little angry about your treatment. It's normal to feel this way under these circumstances so please do not think it's your fault. You clearly want to do the job and want to do it to a good standard. Sadly you are not getting the assistance you need.

I hope this has helped or given you some ideas on how to manage. Your time with this girl is limited which means the situation needs to addressed quickly. I would like to know how you get on.

Mary

CoraC
Community Member

This is such a frustrating situation to be in and I've experienced the same thing more than once. I think sometimes when you are replacing people they may not always have a vested interest in getting a new person up to speed. It makes them look better if no one else can do the job as well as them, right? I think sometimes people forget that a job they've been doing for a while is second nature to them, can be confusing for others. No one is going to pick up a new job without help. I'm always surprised how often nothing is written down, it's often just in people's heads. How is anyone expected to come in and pick up without a decent handover? I completely get what you're saying and I'd be frustrated too. Is there anyone else who can assist you, who might be a better support? Perhaps a colleague who may be more approachable?

Another approach I've taken is to get hold of the position description and look at what the role requires. I check off the areas I feel comfortable with and highlight any I feel I'm needing more help with. Then I know what I need to focus on asking for help with. Another idea is to schedule actual meeting times and give the meeting the title of what you want to discuss. Sometimes works for people who don't want to be pinned down.

All the best

Hi Mary,

Thank you for your response. It really helped me to know there is someone out there willing to take the time to provide me with some words of support. Ive listened to your words and actually approached the girl that is responsible for training me with a list of questions and a request for her to spend some time with me to go over things. She responded positively is spent some time that day answering my questions.

She said she would devote at least 1 hour per day helping me and answering any questions. This was a very positive step for me and took a lot of stress off my shoulders. I’m still hesitant that when I go in next week she won’t follow through with her promises but I try to remain optimistic.

Im currently in the stage of also figuring out if this job is one that I actually enjoy or if it’s just the anxiety that pushing me not to like it but I’ll give it some more time. I’m just worried that if this job doesn’t suit me, then I will have to let my new boss and other down and this brings on another level of anxiety.

MelStorey
Community Member

Hi Cora,

Thanks for taking the time to respond to me. Yes, I felt and still feel frustrated and like I’m being set up to fail. The girl that I’m replacing has been more positive of late in assisting me and said she would spend more time in the future in showing and talking through the jobs tasks with me but Im scared she won’t follow through with the promises and I won’t be at the level i need to be to perform this job.

I’ll try to remain optimistic but as it gets closer to the days I need to go to work, I start to dread and I start to get so worked up that I fail to sleep and have panic attacks.

Hello MelStorey

Thanks for getting back to us. I am so pleased you were able to approach the girl responsible for your training. It is a case of wait and see if she follows through unfortunately. I would like to say do not get stressed about it but it's not that easy I know. You can remind her of the arrangements you made together if she does not appear to be keeping her end of the bargain.

May I ask, were you expecting to get another job with this organisation or only taking on this for few months while the other girl goes on leave. Not much point in leaving if you are considering this as a one off job. I do understand that you are nervous but let's wait and see. Perhaps you can give management some feedback when the job ends if you feel like it. Being uncertain about your duties would make anyone nervous about a new job. I think it's reasonable to feel like that.

I think you have handled everything well especially considering how nervous you have been. Well done. I hope you are giving yourself a pat on the back. Try to engage in positive activities over the weekend. It will help you to forget, at least for a short time, that you will be back at work later. I would love to know how everything goes next week.

I wish you the best.

Mary