FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

New job and centrelink anxiety

JadedJade
Community Member

Hi all, first post 🙂

I just got a call back from a job and now have a job trial tomorrow (after a very long job search process), which is great news!

Except, due to some terrible advice from well meaning people, the new job now knows that I have been on Centrelink for a long time, and I know people can be very judgy about that.

So now I am nervous about the starting a new job, leaving a good impression, not messing up everything... yada yada... anxiety.. you know the drill!

But also about their opinions of me having been on Centrelink and the fact that my job service provider will probably call them to confirm I work there, and I really would rather that they didn't. I much prefer keeping my Centrelink status on the down low because I know people can be incredibly judgmental about it (even though they shouldn't be/ say that they aren't).

I guess this is more of a get it off my chest post because I'm so anxious now and I can feel how on edge I am and it's making me feel sick.

Don't you just hate that? Dammit anxiety I don't have time for this!

2 Replies 2

Rabbit33
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi JadedJade,

That's fantastic news about the job! Congratulations!

I think what you're feeling is quite normal. The stress of wanting to make a good impression is a common reaction. All you can do is try your best and give it your all and see what happens. Try not to let the fact of centrelink weigh you down. Centrelink is designed to support people when they are unemployed or unable to work and honestly, it;s not really anyones business to pry any further into that. So it's up to you how you handle it, your within your rights to disclose very minimal about your situations. You may even be surprised and find that a lot of the people there have been on centrelink at one point or another in their lives and won't be judgey at all.
i've been on centrelink in the past and I am on it again now as i'm studying.

Try and spend today clearing your head and having an early night so that your nice and fresh for tomorrow.

Best of luck! Sending positive vibes your way! 🙂

Whazp
Community Member

Hope the interview goes well. I wouldn't worry too much about them knowing about Centrelink. Chances are it would come up in the interview as they would want to know your recent history. The fact they now know means its no surprise when you go in for the interview. Just focus on doing your best in the interview and be confident 😃