Anxiety

Anxiety is the most common mental health condition in Australia. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with anxiety.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Chris_B Forums etiquette: give support to receive support
  • replies: 0

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newb... View more

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newbies are welcomed when they first post, and we understand that it’s a big step to post for the first time on a forum like this, especially if you aren’t feeling great. It’s important to remember, though, that these forums are a community of real people, just like you, not a one-on-one support environment like going to see your psychologist. To get the best out of being here, one of the best tips we can offer is give support to receive support. Being a good community member means: participating in different threads (not just your own), replying to people who have taken the time to reply to you (even if it’s just to say thank you), and... posting words of emotional support and encouragement when you see others who are hurting and reaching out. You don’t have to feel obliged to solve the problems of others: that’s not what we’re here for. But you can offer empathy and what you’ve learned from your own life experiences, even if it’s just a line or two, eg. “I don't know what to say, but I want to give you my support and tell you I care about what is happening to you and hope life will get better soon.” Try to develop an interest in the journeys of others here on the forums. You may be surprised at how good being an active, caring member here can make you feel. For those of you who have had good experiences giving support here on the forums, please post in this thread here and let us know how it has helped you on your journey.

All discussions

Tasguy Starting new medication terrible
  • replies: 13

Hi I've weened off my old sari med for two weeks now I've started my new med srni type. It's been a week and my anxiety is in in unbearable haven't been able to work and the worded is burning chest discomfort. Starting to regret changing meds View more

Hi I've weened off my old sari med for two weeks now I've started my new med srni type. It's been a week and my anxiety is in in unbearable haven't been able to work and the worded is burning chest discomfort. Starting to regret changing meds

JadedJade New job and centrelink anxiety
  • replies: 2

Hi all, first post I just got a call back from a job and now have a job trial tomorrow (after a very long job search process), which is great news! Except, due to some terrible advice from well meaning people, the new job now knows that I have been o... View more

Hi all, first post I just got a call back from a job and now have a job trial tomorrow (after a very long job search process), which is great news! Except, due to some terrible advice from well meaning people, the new job now knows that I have been on Centrelink for a long time, and I know people can be very judgy about that. So now I am nervous about the starting a new job, leaving a good impression, not messing up everything... yada yada... anxiety.. you know the drill! But also about their opinions of me having been on Centrelink and the fact that my job service provider will probably call them to confirm I work there, and I really would rather that they didn't. I much prefer keeping my Centrelink status on the down low because I know people can be incredibly judgmental about it (even though they shouldn't be/ say that they aren't). I guess this is more of a get it off my chest post because I'm so anxious now and I can feel how on edge I am and it's making me feel sick. Don't you just hate that? Dammit anxiety I don't have time for this!

Orange1997 What are your triggers and symptoms
  • replies: 5

I feel like we all think our anxiety and our triggers are abnormal and embarrassing. When I get anxious, I often get gut issues such as bloating, sudden diarrhoea, nausea, etc. This makes it hard to hide and I find it quite embarressing if it happens... View more

I feel like we all think our anxiety and our triggers are abnormal and embarrassing. When I get anxious, I often get gut issues such as bloating, sudden diarrhoea, nausea, etc. This makes it hard to hide and I find it quite embarressing if it happens in public or around friends. Now my anxiety is caused by this and I am afraid that these symptoms will happen in public and I get anxious, expecting it to happen. But by getting anxious about it happening, I cause it to happen and it's an endless cycle. Now my triggers may be not having access to a bathroom or being around a lot of people that will know if I have to go to the bathroom often because I am stressing. It holds me back from doing things that I'd actually like to do. I am working on my thoughts and I am moving forward and getting better. I want this forum to be a space where everyone can share their own story and not feel embarrassed or scared of what people think. We are all just a group of people experiencing the same issues, just in different ways

Omstrength Work anxiety injury

Hey guys hope you're all going well! First time posting, 31 yr old depression/anxiety/ocd since 13 at some points quite severe anyway.. started a new job 2 weeks ago and cut my hand at home, passed out ended up in emergency etc. But my hand and stitc... View more

Hey guys hope you're all going well! First time posting, 31 yr old depression/anxiety/ocd since 13 at some points quite severe anyway.. started a new job 2 weeks ago and cut my hand at home, passed out ended up in emergency etc. But my hand and stitches is affecting my work (manual work need my hands) and im having massive anxiety about going, as i dont want to be seen as lazy because i cant do certain tasks but they still expecte me to and im not good at saying no or speaking my mind. Anyway any tips on dealing with the anxiety so im not a nervous wreck ay work? Thank you, sorry if this doesnt make much sense

Jez1 I want to ask my GP for a antidepressant perscription how do i go about that?

Hey guys, so anyway i have had depression and social anxiety for as long as i can remember. I have been to the GP before which recommended me see a psychologist i did three sessions then gave up i didn't feel like it was helping. I want to try an ant... View more

Hey guys, so anyway i have had depression and social anxiety for as long as i can remember. I have been to the GP before which recommended me see a psychologist i did three sessions then gave up i didn't feel like it was helping. I want to try an antidepressant now but i get anxiety just from seeing a doctor about anything let alone asking him about my mental health how do i go about it without coming off as weird if you can could anyone share their experience with me thanks Jerry.

Hagshollow Dealing With my Dad

I have a Mental Health history and was admitted to hospital in 2013 and was diagnosed with Autism. I am currently on the DSP and don't work but study casual. I am on the NDIS and am receiving treatment for Mental Health issues and Autism. About a yea... View more

I have a Mental Health history and was admitted to hospital in 2013 and was diagnosed with Autism. I am currently on the DSP and don't work but study casual. I am on the NDIS and am receiving treatment for Mental Health issues and Autism. About a year ago while on a Helping Minds Retreat holiday my Dad told me "he wished i was dead" I told my mum about it but she refuses to admit that it happened and when i mention it to my dad he says that he didn't say it. What do i do just forget it and move on but i can't afford to live anywhere else im on the housing list but will be a long time before i can get anything so getting away is not an option if i want a roof over my head. I can't bear the thought of suicide but can't stop worrying about the future. I'm worried i'm going to be homeless when my parents eventually die. I've started studying but the requirements for getting a job are very complicated and not as simple as to the training get a job. You have to have experience and where am i to get that where i live they don't take volunteers so i'm stuck

Jojo82 Medication side effects?
  • replies: 1

Hi all, I've been suffering severe anxiety for the good part of my life, which in turn developed into alcohol dependency. I've been quite well and living what I would call a normal life for the last 3 or 4 years. Recently I have been getting very dep... View more

Hi all, I've been suffering severe anxiety for the good part of my life, which in turn developed into alcohol dependency. I've been quite well and living what I would call a normal life for the last 3 or 4 years. Recently I have been getting very depressed. I've been taking medication for many years without any issues. Since the new depression started my GP has prescribed a new medication on top of my current medication. I've found the side effects of this new medication are really tough. I've only been taking it now for 4 days. I take it at night and get to sleep really easy, but the next day I have really severe brain fog, dizziness and confusion. I know side effects usually occur when starting medication but I'd like to know for how long do these last? TIA

Naima Anorexia Recovery - getting use to your new body

Hi everyone, I have had anorexia for over 6 years now. For the past 2 years I am better than I have ever been before but I wish there was more discussion around how it feels to be seeing your body change and how we are all dealing with it. I now see ... View more

Hi everyone, I have had anorexia for over 6 years now. For the past 2 years I am better than I have ever been before but I wish there was more discussion around how it feels to be seeing your body change and how we are all dealing with it. I now see my belly bulge, my thighs are bigger and so too are my arms. Its hard to sit there and look at my body sometimes. My mind wanders into places where I just dont want it to go. So my questions is to all of you who feel the same: how do you deal with your body shape changing and how do you focus on being healthy? Thank you, and I look forward to chatting.

Anxious17 DEALING WITH HEALTH ANXIETY
  • replies: 4

Hi i am new to Beyond Blue. I suffer from severe GAD when it comes to my health. I am at the doctor's every week, getting tests for what ever new symptom has popped up in my body even the smallest thing like a bruise. I am 33 and lost my Dad suddenly... View more

Hi i am new to Beyond Blue. I suffer from severe GAD when it comes to my health. I am at the doctor's every week, getting tests for what ever new symptom has popped up in my body even the smallest thing like a bruise. I am 33 and lost my Dad suddenly to brain cancer 4 years ago, since then i have never been the same. Due to my anxiety i suffer with high blood pressure. Once i feel that start to rise my anxiety kicks in, my heart will start to race and ill start with panic attacks thinking im having a heart attack. Its a viscous circle that doesnt end. I get blood tests, Ct scans, x rays, ultrasounds, ECG's and urine tests constantly. I have tried a couple counseling sessions and my doctor has prescribed me with anti anxiety meds but i am too scared to take them for fears i will be depending on them for life. Any one else in the same situation? Anyone else have these feelings or know other ways of coping? Would love to hear it.

Sam_p I’m just no good
  • replies: 6

I’m just no good those are the words that are on repeat in my head non stop. I feel I’m bad at everything I do so I just don’t do anything. My whole life I have been in the special needs classes because of my dyslexia. Everyone always calld me stupid... View more

I’m just no good those are the words that are on repeat in my head non stop. I feel I’m bad at everything I do so I just don’t do anything. My whole life I have been in the special needs classes because of my dyslexia. Everyone always calld me stupid growing up from my teachers to my so called friends and my parents. Now I’m older I still feel the way I did back then. I got married had a beautiful daughter but still I’m not good enough there is something wrong broken inside me and I can’t be happy. I have no friends because I can’t let anyone get close because I know they will just think I’m stupid and not want to talk to me. I don’t know what to do about this anymore it’s been years since I left school and all that behind these feelings and thoughts have only festerd and grown. I’m not good enough.