Anxiety

Anxiety is the most common mental health condition in Australia. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with anxiety.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Chris_B Forums etiquette: give support to receive support
  • replies: 0

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newb... View more

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newbies are welcomed when they first post, and we understand that it’s a big step to post for the first time on a forum like this, especially if you aren’t feeling great. It’s important to remember, though, that these forums are a community of real people, just like you, not a one-on-one support environment like going to see your psychologist. To get the best out of being here, one of the best tips we can offer is give support to receive support. Being a good community member means: participating in different threads (not just your own), replying to people who have taken the time to reply to you (even if it’s just to say thank you), and... posting words of emotional support and encouragement when you see others who are hurting and reaching out. You don’t have to feel obliged to solve the problems of others: that’s not what we’re here for. But you can offer empathy and what you’ve learned from your own life experiences, even if it’s just a line or two, eg. “I don't know what to say, but I want to give you my support and tell you I care about what is happening to you and hope life will get better soon.” Try to develop an interest in the journeys of others here on the forums. You may be surprised at how good being an active, caring member here can make you feel. For those of you who have had good experiences giving support here on the forums, please post in this thread here and let us know how it has helped you on your journey.

All discussions

CJ1998 Health Anxiety
  • replies: 9

Hi everyone, This is my first post here, and I just wanted to see if anyone is or has experienced anything similar to what I am currently experiencing. I have always been an anxious person since childhood, especially when I have a lot going on (Juggl... View more

Hi everyone, This is my first post here, and I just wanted to see if anyone is or has experienced anything similar to what I am currently experiencing. I have always been an anxious person since childhood, especially when I have a lot going on (Juggling work and study commitments). It has never affected my ability to go about my daily activities until recently. One day I was driving to uni when I began feeling anxious which led to heart palpitations and caused me to almost pass out at the wheel. Ever since then my anxiety has spiraled out of control as I have a fear of this situation happening again. I am too afraid to drive most places as I instantly feel anxious as soon as I get behind a wheel. I also fear going anywhere in public in case these symptoms appear again. I have visited the doctors and had tests done and they have put these symptoms down to anxiety. I can't seem to get the idea out of my head that there must be another health issue causing such severe symptoms. Now it seems like everyday I am experiencing a racing heart, shortness of breath, heart palpitations and dizziness. Has anyone else experienced these types of issues? What did you do to overcome these worries? I am constantly overthinking and it is affecting my ability to go about my daily life.

TheAnxiousOne Cant catch a breath/Breathing Anxiety symptoms?
  • replies: 3

Hi all, I’ve been on meds for anxiety for just over a month now. A couple of days after I started taking the tablets I noticed how I was unable to take a deep breath when i needed it, and It would come suddenly as a wave and it would feel like someon... View more

Hi all, I’ve been on meds for anxiety for just over a month now. A couple of days after I started taking the tablets I noticed how I was unable to take a deep breath when i needed it, and It would come suddenly as a wave and it would feel like someone is pressing down on my chest and throat. Oddly enough, at times I feel like it’s coming from the abdomen traveling all the way up into my chest and then throat making it super hard to breathe. anyone else experiencing this? It’s terrifying thanks in advance

gingerlocks Anxiety is taking over my life need help coping
  • replies: 1

Hi, this is my first time doing something like this. I have been anxious as long as I can remember, it flairs up bad now and again and I have never had good coping strategies for dealing with stressful situations. I am currently waiting on Visa news ... View more

Hi, this is my first time doing something like this. I have been anxious as long as I can remember, it flairs up bad now and again and I have never had good coping strategies for dealing with stressful situations. I am currently waiting on Visa news and its only been 6 days and I am a wreck, I cant eat, I cant sleep, i feel constantly sick and the negativity is really getting to me. I cant turn to anyone for help and I dont know how to get through this waiting period I am not dealing well with life at all at the moment and Would love if someone could help me with some coping methods. Iv tried to keep busy and to breath through it but that doesnt work i am far to inside my own head and I just dont know how much longer I can deal with this

tpman Loooking for some help with anxiety relapse

Hi, I have pretty serious anxiety and depression (currently on a disability). I have been stable for the past year or so, still depressed, but anxiety and panic/agitation (the worse of the two evils) has resurfaced. There was a preety huge trigger a ... View more

Hi, I have pretty serious anxiety and depression (currently on a disability). I have been stable for the past year or so, still depressed, but anxiety and panic/agitation (the worse of the two evils) has resurfaced. There was a preety huge trigger a cpl nights ago which sent me into a high panic and agitation and I think i'm just experiencing the residule affects of that ? I guess when your anxiety and panic is under control for so long you kinda of 'forget' what it feels like, so when it comes back and hits you its really scary. I am trying to see it for what it is, a relapse due to trigger, and im hoping it will pass soon. I'm trying my best to take it really easy at the moment, which for me, is just staying in my room resting and zoning in out in an online game on my laptop. Not healthy I know, but right now its hard to do all the 'healthy things', I just feel I need some time to calm down so I'm going to be gentle with myself for a while. Feeling very fragile. Thanks for reading, and any response is welcome, just feel I needed to vent :(. It helps alot getting my thoughts out of my head, even just typing them out.

AnotherOne12 I need positive stories of people who have overcome panic disorders agoraphobia
  • replies: 2

Since March this year, I had one major panic attack and have been stuck in a loop feeling mini anxiety attacks 10 times a day. Places I used to go to now give me a feeling of anxiety. Whats worse is its accompanied by feeling off balance and dizzy. I... View more

Since March this year, I had one major panic attack and have been stuck in a loop feeling mini anxiety attacks 10 times a day. Places I used to go to now give me a feeling of anxiety. Whats worse is its accompanied by feeling off balance and dizzy. I need some serious help. I need to hear positive stories pf how to overcome this from people who have overcome this type of panic and anxiety.

Tasguy Alternative treatment

Hi wondering has anyone tried hypnotherapy or acupuncture for gad

Hi wondering has anyone tried hypnotherapy or acupuncture for gad

Shaker56 Breathing - Square Breathing

My shrink told me about Square Breathing (I’d never heard of it) & it has helped me immensely. It trains you to learn to how relax with deeper breathing. Generally do the exercises for 5 minutes 4 times a day. Even when you do get better, keep doing ... View more

My shrink told me about Square Breathing (I’d never heard of it) & it has helped me immensely. It trains you to learn to how relax with deeper breathing. Generally do the exercises for 5 minutes 4 times a day. Even when you do get better, keep doing it. YouTube has many videos explaining this method - choose one that you like. I hope it helps you too..

Lofty2314 Eating Anxiety / Swallowing difficulties

Hi, for the past 6 months if not longer I've developed and really been struggling with eating / swallowing mainly in public, now the thought of going out to a cafe or restaurant for breakfast lunch or dinner terrifies me as I worry about it before I ... View more

Hi, for the past 6 months if not longer I've developed and really been struggling with eating / swallowing mainly in public, now the thought of going out to a cafe or restaurant for breakfast lunch or dinner terrifies me as I worry about it before I get there, I get set off by everything around me and the different smells, feel nausea come on rapidly, like I'm going to be sick, I can't chew or get my food down and enjoy it like I used to be able to, I've never had issues in the past and always loved food and eating. It's really impacting me as I feel I can't go out to eat or take my girlfriend out to a nice dinner in fear of how I'll react. Feels like I've got a lump in my throat constantly like I'm all uptight and the muscles aren't relaxed nothing just flows down into my stomach like the good old days prior to this. I've also developed really shallow breathing which doesn't help and I've been checked and cleared for asthma and had bloods done for allergies etc and everything come back fine. Has anyone else experienced this and what did you do/take to overcome it? It's getting me really down and taken away a big part of my quality of life. I used to life going to the pub with my mates for a feed now it's a daunting thought, I rather just stay at home and eat in my comfort zone in case I do get that sick/can't swallow my food feeling, it's like I've forgotten how to swallow in public, I feel it must be a severe anxiety i've developed for whater reason.. If anyone can help that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

car10001 getting to know people and reconnect
  • replies: 3

hi Was wondering how people with minor social problems get a girl, how do they overcome that. Am looking for a girl to do the bf/gf things with that’s single and doesn’t want kids or anyone meaning anyone else, Is there a way to get the girls if you ... View more

hi Was wondering how people with minor social problems get a girl, how do they overcome that. Am looking for a girl to do the bf/gf things with that’s single and doesn’t want kids or anyone meaning anyone else, Is there a way to get the girls if you live in a small town or have minor social problems or both. Is there a way to get practice dates and is there a way to practice talking to girls and where would you go to practice talking to girls just to get the experience and the know how so it’s easier to get the girls. Am happy single. When you see others it often makes you think about how much you want the girl. Sometimes it’s just not fair that it’s taking longer, is there a way around it. If you had more normal friends close to your age the girl would slowly pop up and you’d probably have people to go shopping with and see later movies and it’d probably tie you over until the girl pops up. For a couple years upto last year had a car that was continually having problems and wasn’t ready to update it till last year and didn’t have the room to park it and another one and get to them when time and money allowed otherwise it would’ve been done sooner and that hasn’t helped. Had decided to get another car like one of the other ones that have had and do up so now am working on getting that. What are steps to getting group of friends together What are steps to asking girls out. also what are ways to make more normal friends, hopefully some that live same area as you, because then you could do a lot of things, and chances are youd know more people and eventually they would have kids even though you dont want kids, you could see themand kids after born. when people have kids sometimes their brothers and sisters see the babies, is it what you get for having more friends or brothers and sisters. nothing will happen right away but we all got to start somewhere. whats all your experiences

Richy238 Trouble Keeping a job
  • replies: 4

Hi my name is Richard I'm 31. I have had 6 jobs in the last 6 months I have struggled with my anxiety and depression. I find it extremely hard to go work in the morning. Using all different excuses under the sun. I finally had the courage to tell my ... View more

Hi my name is Richard I'm 31. I have had 6 jobs in the last 6 months I have struggled with my anxiety and depression. I find it extremely hard to go work in the morning. Using all different excuses under the sun. I finally had the courage to tell my job I had yesterday the I'm having mental health problems and I'm going to the doctor to seek help and they called me yesterday arvo and said they have replaced me and good luck. It was only a full time casual position but I thought they maybe understanding. I get very overwhelmed some days and feel like a failure. My wonderful partner has been nothing but very supportive and understanding. I often tell her to leave me so I'm not being an anchor for her. I don't know how to overcome this I was enjoying my job and whilst having a job is a load off my shoulders. I know it will be extremely hard to fund another job.