FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

new experiences

Shadows-mum
Community Member

hi, I have recently been diagnosed with anxiety, and am slowly going through a few different feelings and sensations with the first weel of taking my medication. I am struggling with feelings of disbelief and am beating myself up thinking, this isn't me! I have always been " stong" so am having a hard time of it, so is this a normal reaction? I know it takes a while for the meds to kick in, but these " side effects" are worrying me. I am told that they will pass, so I need to be patient with myself, but it's not easy. I would value any thoughts, thanks

3 Replies 3

Bob_22
Community Member

Hi Shadows-mum,

I'm sorry about your recent diagnosis but am glad that you have taken the necessary steps for treatment. Medication can be a huge change for many people. At first, many people will question if they are doing the right thing or if it will change their personality. This is not the case. Medication is not something that 'fixes' things for you or 'changes' your thinking but is often a supplement to give you the tools so that you can recover from anxiety, depression or other issues (e.g. less stress/worry). So don't think that you are weak for taking them. View it as something you need to equalise the fight against anxiety. Yes there may be side effects, especially in the first couple weeks as you get used to it. You can learn more about those side effects here: https://www.beyondblue.org.au/mental-health/depression/treatments-for-depression 

Generally for most people though, medication won't start to make a noticeable change until the 4 - 6 week mark (as explained in the link).

Hope that helps.

Bob

teaBee
Community Member

Hey there I hope you are doing well. 

I have been in a very similar place to you and this is my advice. Treat yourself how you would treat a friend. If a friend was struggling you wouldn’t tell them that’s wrong. You’d tell them it’s ok and that you’re there for them. You have to be there for yourself. It’s good to be strong but you don’t need to be strong all the time. Sometimes the mind and body just need to be weak so it can heal. Starting medication can be a scary journey. When I first started the pills made me so sick. But I was fighting for myself to get better and I did. You can too. It may be a long journey with ups and downs. But the feeling you get at the end is worth all the effort. You can do this I believe in you. It takes a lot of strength and bravery to even acknowledge you need help. So you’ve done an amazing job already. Remember that when you feel down. 

notlikingthis
Community Member

Hi I am also very new to this & in disbelief that at 57 when life is the least challenging after all I’ve been through, my body/mind has just said “now you’re doing really well - cop this”. I’m not liking how debilitating this makes me feel. I’m not on medication yet, but assume I’ll need it very shortly. as my GP explained - I’ve been in fight/flight mode for so long with different family traumas over 20 years that I possibly had anxiety that was suppressed!

My biggest worry is I’m casual at work in a pretty high position & last week, I could have truly stayed home if I got sick pay. I pushed through 2 stressful day where I couldn’t concentrate, focus, was nervous - it’s just so dreadful feeling like this.