FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

My heart won’t stop pounding

SherlockandWatson96
Community Member

Has anyone ever felt your anxiety disappear but your heart continues to pound? 
This has never happened to me before. It pounds pretty much all the time, even when I’m going to sleep. 

6 Replies 6

Flop
Community Member

Hello SherlockandWat,

I believe I used to have the very same problem, my heart would pound as if I was excited about something when I was just trying to sleep, my fix was mentioning this to my GP and they prescribed something to help. Given it's a purely physical sensation medication will put it at ease. You aren't alone with this sensation, if I've had it and you've had, I think it's something a lot of people feel.

I hope this helps 🙂 

Hi Flop 

That helps a lot, thank you. 
I am currently on medication for it but I guess I may need to discuss my dosage. 
Thanks again for reaching out. 

jaz28
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi there,

I have definitely felt this before, I am sorry you are experiencing this! Even when your brain recognises there is no threat, I think the physiological presence of anxiety can still exist - some people even get nauseous due to anxiety. 

My advice would be to speak to your doctor or psychologist about this and see what they recommend.

I hope it improves soon.

Jaz xx

ecomama
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello again SherlockandWatson, 

Yes you're not alone in this strange feeling. 
I also have this at times. 

I'm not on any regular medications but I think it's anxiety that causes this for me. 
I have Complex PTSD (ADHD too). 

Along with my pounding heart that feels too big when I'm trying to sleep, I also get zinging in my arms most noticeably. 
I do get the shakes when I've had especially stressful situations. 

I use lots of alternative concoctions that help, whether they're a placebo or not IDK lol! 

Thankyou for posting. I appreciate that you're here, 
Love EM

Hi Jaz

Thanks for the advise, I’ll definitely contact my dr. 

Hi EM 

Thanks for making me think I’m not alone.