FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

My dad doesn’t understand

Willo123
Community Member

Iv struggled with anxiety very badly for the last 5 years. Iv had it my whole life but has been the worst in the last 5 years.

I’m currently going through a huge struggle. Iv been in so much mental pain and exhaustion that my brain thinks of ways to inflict a physical pain, so I don’t have to feel the mental anymore.

The one huge thing that is stopping me from getting back into my old routine and being happy in my comfort zone is my dad. Everyone else understands on some kind of level what I’m going through but not dad.

He thinks why can’t I just get over this and do what I want. He just doesn’t understand and it makes me not want to talk to him when I feel this low.

I just don’t know how to make him see that I’m struggling.

2 Replies 2

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, welcome

This forum I'd suggest, exists because we cannot find the understanding and confirt from people that dont have mental struggles.

Put it this way- if you own a car that cannot tow a trailer that can be disappointing but if it doesnt have the capacity to tow anything, thats the way it is, it wont change.

So, if your dad cant relate to your pain it doesnt mean he doesnt love you, it means the topic of mental illness is beyond his ability to "get it". Could we ever relate to starvation? A starving person in Africa could beg for us to understand but we could never do.

So be kind to him.

Google this please

Beyondblue topic they just wont understand, why?

TonyWK

Hi Willo,

It sounds like your anxiety is really consuming your life at the moment. I hear the immensity of your feelings – wanting to inflict physical pain to distract yourself says to me you’re really struggling.

Your dad’s opinion seems important to you. It must be frustrating to hear the cliché “just get over it”, I know it’s never that easy. I guess it’s hard for people such as your dad, who perhaps haven’t experienced anxiety to this extent, to relate to the immensity of the feelings you're experiencing.

Something that stood out to me from your post is that you mention your dad is the ‘one huge thing’ stopping you from getting back to happiness and a routine. It seems like you’ve placed a lot of emphasis on this. It may be worth thinking about the following question; how much do you see your dad as being in control of your recovery and how much you see yourself as being in charge of your recovery?

While it’s so important to feel supported by those around you, I want to send some feelings of empowerment your way – you are in charge of your journey. In saying that, it doesn’t mean you shouldn’t feel supported. The fact that you have other supports around you is great and I hope you find some more support on these forums.