FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

My Anxiety

badams
Community Member
One of my friends used to have panic attacks and we used to think she was weak and not trying her 100% to control the mind.
After two years, now it is my turn to share the same pain and now I can imagine what was going on with her.
I work in a corporate environment and I am pretty good with my work. I am a hard-working, always up to date and a very fast learner. I remember when I started this job, I used to discuss things with colleagues and I have always received good feedback from others. I don't know when things started to change. Now, I want to avoid meetings and always stay quiet if I have to attend any of them. Whenever it is my turn to speak my heart starts beating faster and my whole body gets drenched with sweat and I am not able to speak normally.
This has affected my personal life as well. If I saw someone in the shopping mall, I would try to avoid making eye contact pretending I do not see them.
Recently, I have started taking an anxiety and stress medicine which is available without a prescription and that is giving me a sense of confidence.
I think the root cause of my problem is my background and childhood. I am from a non-English speaking background and sometimes I fear that I will make mistakes. Also, I have been a kind of introvert since my childhood.
My relationship with my partner is also at the lowest point. She gets upset with small things and stops talking for weeks. When I try to initiate any conversation, she ignores until she needs my help with something.
I think everyone is making fun of me and I believe they all pity on me.

All I want is to take back control of my life and my mind. acI am looking for suggestions form everyone and also from anyone who has faced a similar situation like me.
1 Reply 1

jess334
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Badam,

Welcome to the forums.

Anxiety is awful, but it is hard to imagine what its like until you experience it for yourself.

I'm glad that you have found some medication that works for you. Have you considered also seeing a psychologist? Therapy can help change the way you see yourself and how you cope with anxiety.

You can get reduced cost sessions if you have a medicare card. Just see your doctor and ask to complete a mental health plan. You might need to book a longer session as it can take a while to complete.

Kind thoughts,

Jess