FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Mindfullness

cakeboss
Community Member
Hi i am recently going through servere anxiety panic disorder .My doctors have said i over catastropfi the situation which isnt helping.I am on medication and drs visits every 2 weeks .I was told to try mindfulness for when these waves of anxiety set in .Sounds like a good idea whats everyone elses ideas.Im also having counciling next week .
2 Replies 2

jess334
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi cakeboss,

Good on you for getting help from your GP and starting counselling .

Mindfulness can really help with anxiety. My favourite app is called Smiling Mind (which is free), although Headspace is good too. Don't expect it to work miracles on the first go though, it does take practice and should be an ongoing thing.

Getting exercise every day is also very helpful at reducing anxiety. Even a short walk outside can help.

I also recommend the book 'The Happiness Trap' by Russ Harris to help you understand why your brain is anxious and how to overcome anxious thoughts and feelings.

Stay well.

romantic_thi3f
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hey cakeboss,

Thanks for your post. I'm really glad that you're interested in trying mindfulness; there's so much good research around it and how it can help anxiety short-term and long-term!

LavenderTea made a really great post about it here -

https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/young-people/mindfulness-from-a-skeptics-point-of-view-a-how-to-and-knowing-the-facts-

Lots of people have also shared their own ways of practicing mindfulness in the thread, so that may give you some good ideas too.