FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Leaving a toxic energy behind

PsychedelicFur
Community Member

Hello there,

a couple of days ago I had come to the realisation that I needed to leave my very destructive and toxic relationship. I found the courage and strength within me to leave.

I had been dating my partner for ten months. And throughout those ten months it had been a very rocky experience. This was my first ever real relationship.

Name calling had been happening when I got anxious. This particular person would get angry with me and start calling me ‘pathetic’ and ‘childish’ when I wanted comfort and hugs during a panic attack.
He told me that the reason he would get angry and treat me poorly was because I made him get that way by being anxious.

when I went to hospital for suicidal thoughts he hadn’t spoken to me all day because of an episode of me overthinking over text prior to that day. He then rang me up and abused me on the phone saying ‘maybe you need to lose me, someone you love in order to realise your a horrible person.’ And ‘if your trying to make me feel sorry for you then you can stop trying.’

he also use to pick on my appearance knowing very well that I had insecurities and issues that led back to my mum being emotionally abusive towards me.
calling me a 6/10. When I hadn’t been asking him to even rate my looks. Telling me I also look embarrassing in my flamboyant clothing. And that I was plus size too when others and even medial professionals tell me I’m not.

he would sometimes not drive me home and I would have to catch the train home by myself without him even walking me to my platform. I felt very unloved and lonely.

then when I would have anxiety episodes and overthink he would ignore me for hours on end by not responding to my calls or text messages. Then blaming me for making him angry. He would say things like ‘if you didn’t do that then I would not have treated you that way.”

Part of me feels very liberated and empowered that I decided to leave. Another part of me feels upset and so very heartbroken.

I know deep down I have done the right thing for my mental health and well-being. And people, who I trust deeply around me have told me so too. As they have watched me face the challenges and pressure this relationship has put me through. I have been reading books about feminism and practicing self care and love routines. As well as reading articles about narcissistic abuse.

I’m in a weird situation,

need some more insight.
PF

79 Replies 79

I agree. I haven't heard of her or that book, I'll check it out, thanks

hey Psychadelic Fur

Firstly - I know i can't see you, but I want to tell you that are you beautiful, intelligent, your size doesn't matter (eveen though ur doctor clearly confirmed you're NOT plus size) and that none of what he says is true.
I wander if he is so insecure and wants to say these things to chip at ur confidence so u won't believe you are worthy of love. Beceause he knows you are. That's alarmingly obvious.

i read a cute book about breakups called "it's called a breakup because it's broken" which has some great tips about getting the strength to move on from a bad relationships.
I reckon the first step is acknowledging it's toxic, ur not imagining it, and calling it out.
I want to validate you that you're not imagining anything and you were insightful, smart and strong to leave this relationship. Good for u !!!

that book sounds awesome, i love getting recommendations from users here, i've already found quite a few books from thee threads and they've never disappointed... so i look forward to looking up the one you mentioned. Great title - women certainly should be allowed to b "unpretty" sad, confused, angry, strong, weak and everything in between, just as men are. xx

Hey there Sleepy21,

hope you are well. Thank you for the kind words and support. I very much appreciate it.

I will have a look at the book that you have recommended. Thank you for the recommendation!!

This individual that I dated was/is a very insecure person, I think. As I look back now at events and experiences I had with him I can see that he was/is bullied by his family for his weight and his exes don’t have nice things to say about him.

I think, more than anything he projected his feelings of inadequacy and insecurity on to me. Which is sad and I do deeply feel sorry towards the demons he has to live with.

however, with saying that my anxiety worsened when I got with him. I think I was trying to process the traumas. That’s why I would constantly question his love for me because I would see him saying things like ‘i love you’ or ‘I miss you’

However, I would look at his actions and they would say otherwise.

I would cry and he would tell me ‘stop making it a sob story’ and he even admitted to me that for the first few months of us dating he had feelings for another girl.

it hurts, tremendously because I loved him. I really did. I loved his soul. I loved the way he was when I met him. He was so gentle, charismatic, sensitive and passionate. And I grew enormous admiration for that.

PsychedelicFur
Community Member

I look back at old messages and cry. He was so gentle. And charming. And beautiful. So so beautiful.

and then this happened. I’m shocked. I’m confused. I’m feeling so many emotions as memories both good and bad return back to me.

Hi, welcome

All replies have been wonderful here.

Can I ask you to read the following threads, just the first post.

We can talk about it when you like.

Google

Beyondblue topic the best praise you'll ever get

TonyWK

Hey PF. I know how you feel. I was mentally abused by someone I had a crush on (a guy, yes) in high school. I still have PTSD from it. We never dated. Turns out he liked me too. So I know how you feel, although it may be different because you dated this guy. I know the feeling of missing them, them being cute and sweet, then turning out to be the demon.

PsychedelicFur
Community Member
Hello there, hope you are all well.
Knowing he is not good to communicate with as he gaslighted me and treat me horribly, I am still so very tempted to text him. I have blocked him on both social media and phone. I know I have done the right thing and I don't want to get back with him considering all of the traumatic things I have been put through whilst dating him. I just miss his voice, when we texted and that companionship even though it was incredibly toxic.

Does anyone on here have any suggestions that could help me get over him more quickly? Or does anyone have any suggestions that could help me feel far less tempted to text or communicate with him? I do fully acknowledge that he is no good for me.

Thanking you in advance,

PsychedelicFur.

try a detox

start with one week... and count each day that u don't speak

ull get strongr to see that u have willpower and hold the control. 1 day at a time...

Thanking you so much!!

Hey PF, I found your thread...

Yes.
Google the 180 strategy and the "Gray Rock" strategy.

I believe there are also online "No Contact Diaries" so you can write about your journey of going no contact.

I'm beat today, need a nap!

Will be back another time to see how you're going.

Love EM