FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Jumpiness and Fear

LeedsUnited21
Community Member
Ok so for about a year now iv been really really  jumpy and have bad anxiety now.. my bodyis in fear all the time.. I cant relax and have muscle pain and stuff.. I don't think im depressed as it hasnet stopped me going out and and working but its making life very shit indeed 😞 cause I jump not only for noises butwhen someone walks around the corner and its quiet etc.. I have no idea why.. I tried some pills and stuff but nothing has helped.. please help does anyone else have this?
8 Replies 8

The_Real_David_Charles
Community Member

Dear Leeds United,

Maybe your hearing is amazing.   Did you check out the quality of your hearing ?   When I'm manic I over hear and often can use public transport as everything is amplified to an uncomfortable level.  Mania seems to come from what you say - "bad anxiety".    Plus, it's makes you social.     The faster you jump and respond to things the faster your processing is going.  And with mania (or the onslaught of mania) this is what is happening - your brain is in super overdrive.   

Maybe there are other signs like dreaming big grandiose schemes and not being able to concentrate much on what people are saying to you because you have already worked out what they are going to say, the gestures & tone.

Adios, David.

GrumpyCat
Community Member

Yes, I sometimes get those excessive startles when someone comes around the corner, loud noises or a see something move suddenly in the corner of my eye. I tried medication briefly but it made me more anxious. For me things improved when:

1. I quit my old job that I absolutely hated and was a big source of stress for me.

2. Got adequate sleep.

3. Did regular exercise.

Still get those startles and anxiety but not as bad and things are improving with some mental exercises as well.

fair enough. I play soccer and sleep a lot doesn't seem to help.... its so weird now.. all I can think about is trying to anticpate noises and stuff cause I know it makes me jump 😞

Hi LeedsUnited21,

I think I know what you mean. I find that thinking/worrying too much about anything at all tends to take me away from actually noticing what is going on around me. You may be doing more worrying about noticing than actually noticing. I can also find it disturbing to have someone standing in my blind spot same as if you are driving. You know they are there but just out of sight. Thanks for sharing, Chris.

Dear Leeds United 2  Arsenal 0,

Jumpy from noises ?      Or jumpy from thinking about noises ?  Or jumpy just cos you are already jumpy ?    

I have a cat just like that.   But she was abused as a kitten so every noise could lead to something bad.     I would never have guessed that you play soccer from your user name !  Lol.      When I lived in England in the 70's/80's Leeds United did really well and I think won the FA Cup one year.  Don't they play in a white stripe ?

You may have scored an own goal with all the jumpyness & anxiety.    Try and subsitute a calmer persona and deal with things AFTER they've  happened.

Adios, David.

jumpy from noises like someone coughs i jump like a horror movie and on edge all the time now for everything and social anxiety. its pretty bad i must admit. everything makes me jump and be on edge and act weird even someone walking up behind me and saying my name makes me freak out

Dear Leeds,

The most boring therapy would be to wear noise cancelling headphones.    I'm sure that a little development in the ability to NOT react will go a long way.

Maybe a good psychologist will unearth what drives your fear of sudden noises.  Sometimes paying $40 for a professional full body massage will ease the jumpyness or even swimming.   You can't really jump when swimming.  At $7 a swim it might be a cheaper alternative.

Adios, David.

stil so jumpy tried

yer been ok just so jumpy when people walk around corners and stuff to so silly.. don't know why