FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Job stress rumination anyone?

Suz0
Community Member
I have a demanding job I worked so hard to get and wanted so badly. I have just returned after extended travel leave and sense that ppl don’t trust me. I have made some bad decisions in the past and in the litigous modern workplace I find myself convincing myself that I will lose my job. I keep finding past situations to stress and ruminate over. This is not new. I have been doing this at work since I was a checkout worker at the age of 15 😩 I was once on medication and it helped a bit. Can anyone relate to the catastrophising?
3 Replies 3

Doolhof
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Suz0,

Catastrophising is something I am generally quite good at! It is amazing how the mind can run away from you with the most ridiculous story imaginable, with more twists and turns than any movie you have ever seen!

When I realise my mind is going crazy with thoughts that don't equal reality I try to accept the crazy thoughts and work out how I can stop them from escalating.

Have you tried cognitive behaviour therapy? The strategies used in CBT may certainly help you to deal with the catastrophising. It is a good thing you are aware of what is happening, that means you can make changes to regulate your thinking more!

I also try to learn from mistakes and poor decisions. Sometimes it takes me a while to do that, but we can always learn something new!

Welcome to the forum and to the community here. Cheers from Dools

jollydolly
Community Member

(puts hand up)

Yep, I'm a catastrophiser. I'm in a situation at the moment where my feeling that people were not trusting or supporting me at work has been emphasized by other stressors, and then I made some mistakes that I'm now sure will end my current job and prevent me getting another one. Unable to pay mortgage, likely end up living on the street and dying alone. Ha ha ha...except it's not funny, of course. I feel like I desperately need something positive to happen at work so I can feel confident again, but it won't come. I just make more mistakes and get more panicked.

So, yeah, I can relate.

I can relate!

I have just returned to work today after extended leave (broke my foot) and my inner monologue was off the charts. I.e "they're only being nice today, it'll change tomorrow", "don't say anything, you won't be of help" "am I in the way here or...?"

I have to kept reminding myself that these thoughts are mine and not theirs, that I do contribute and that I am worthy of being in my position. Also, I try and calm down by slowing down and focusing on my breathing.

Its hard, especially when you put so much pressure on yourself. So try and focus on the positive.