FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Is my anxiety becoming depression

KiiKii
Community Member

I've previously been diagnosed with GAD and have coped alright the past few years. In the last few months I've had a lot of exhaustion, it's been hard to engage with work, episodes of sleep disturbance and I've moved back in with my parents (it puts me quite far from friends).

My psychologist has usually used the term 'anxiety' even when I've reported feeling a bit down and has previously reassured me that my symptoms are not depression. I'm trying to figure out if this is my anxiety flaring up or if I'm crossing over into some depression.

I'm booked in to see a psychologist in two weeks (on the waiting list to go earlier). Bit nervous because my regular psych is on maternity leave and the person they recommended is on holidays so seeing someone else 😞

5 Replies 5

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello KiiKii

Thankyou for the thread topic. I understand you as I went through the same in my 20's and it was awful

Good on you for being proactive with your health and seeing a counselor..even though its not your regular one! I was really stuck in between appointments in my 20's and decided to see my GP. It was one of the best decisions I ever made. I had a huge lift in my self esteem and confidence after making a double appointment with her

Just my opinion if thats okay KiiKii. My depression kicked in after 15 years of untreated daily anxiety attacks (because I thought that natural remedies would have worked....and they didnt)

Exhaustion and lack of concentration are very common with a 'tired mind'

Can I ask your thoughts about seeing your GP for double appointment to find some peace? It seems that you have everything to gain and nothing to lose at this time 🙂

Any questions are welcome. GP's have a greater understanding where anxiety and depression is concerned nowadays compared to 20-30 years ago

Does your anxiety (GAD) have an effect on the quality of your day to day life at the moment?

you are not alone

my kind thoughts....and please post back when its convenient for you!

Paul

KiiKii
Community Member

Thanks, Paul. I have a good relationship with my GP so I might try making an appointment with them.

The GAD wasn't causing too many issues until this year when several things have happened . I think things have just got on top of me a bit and one of my friends who has previously been an important support isn't around. Finding it a bit difficult to talk things out with a friend - it's not easy being vulnerable, especially when you don't know how well people understand anxiety. It often just becomes a placating conversation of "oh yeah, sometimes I get stressed, too".
Anyway, really appreciate the reply, Paul. Glad I found the forum

Hey KiiKii

I hear you about feeling vulnerable...That in itself can be exhausting/isolating/overwhelming

Anxiety is partially chemically based the same as a physical illness. I dont see depression in your posts KiiKii

Unfortunately some people cant see anxiety as health issue. I have been told many times just to 'snap out of it' and thats such a bring down.

I know when we deal with these symptoms as early as we can, the better our recovery will be 🙂

we 'get it'

Great to have you as part of the Beyond Blue family KiiKii!

I really hope you can lean on us if you wish + thankyou heaps for the kind post too

Please be gentle to yourself in the meantime 🙂

Paul

KiiKii
Community Member

Good news, the psychologist had a cancellation so I can get in tomorrow. Had already booked the doctor's appointment - I'll remember that one for if I ever get stuck again.

Thanks again, good to have some people to chat to.

Hi KiiKii

Thats great news with getting in early. I hope you have a good appt today 🙂

kind thoughts

Paul