FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Is it OCD or is it normal?

Trying55
Community Member

Hi,

So for the past few years since I was about seventeen, I have been struggling with OCD. Before the event that triggered this, I was completely rational about things and did not feel any compulsions to subdue my obsessions. However, since acquiring the condition, life has been very different. I am trying to learn to overcome and resist my compulsive hand washing but, a continuous obstacle that seems to arise is my inability to identify what an anxious response to a situation is and what a normal response would be. I honestly feel so immersed in my anxious thinking that I feel I have forgotten what a practical hygienic response is to things. So, how do you know what a normal response is? How do you know whether you're overreacting or not? How do you know whether you're thought is completely reasonable or just a manifestation of your anxiety? I honestly I have no idea whether any of this really makes sense but I'm hoping someone will be able to somewhat understand what I mean.

Thank you for your time,

Trying55

6 Replies 6

anxietyalien
Community Member
Oh boy! We are in the same boat regarding "not knowing". Not knowing what is normal and/or if what you're doing is right or not (in the sense that something is common, as "normal" itself is hard to define... what is normal?). How do you know if you're going in the right direction? (especially when symptoms, in my case, can be so random). Maybe these thoughts in and of themselves, ARE anxiety. Maybe that is the point, to not have these thoughts... To not be bothered by these questions....

Thank you for your perspective anxietyalien, I understand completely what you mean. I've been wondering also whether all my thoughts are anxious ones as they are constantly bothering me, but then sometimes I feel what I'm feeling is completely reasonable and when I look to friends to see how they would respond they completely understand my point of view. However, other times they think I'm completely overreacting. It's just so unbelievably confusing but I suppose that's what the anxiety wants as well perhaps.

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Trying, I know how all of these thoughts do create feelings of obsession and may worry you, they are caused by anxiety and it's related to a particular illness called OCD, that's something I've also had for 58 years, just as others have as well.

It also may create compulsions, and both of these are associated with OCD.

Please don't concern yourself and I want to get back to you tomorrow morning, as I start very early in the morning at about 12.30 am, because I also want to talk about other thoughts that you could be having.

If I don't then please refresh your thread by making another comment so that it appears on page 1 or 2.

Best wishes.

Geoff.

Trying55
Community Member

Thank you for your response Geoff.

I think it would be nice to discuss these thoughts further as I do find it very difficult to distinguish between responses based around anxiety to situations and responses which are normal, it would be good to get your thoughts on this.

Thanks again,

Trying55

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Trying, a traumatic experience can trigger this illness, it did for me, and they intrude on you when you're trying to think of or do other things.

It makes you perform repetitive actions that are excessive, time-consuming and can be distressing, and you maybe aware of the irrational and excessive nature of their obsessions and compulsions, but feel you are unable to control their obsessions or resist their compulsions.

How you feel and what you do to normal anxiety is that it happens when you're in a certain situation that always worries you, and that's not pleasant, but it prevents you from even contemplating that action, like hopping onto a plane, while a learned anxiety, that is having OCD, has now caused you to keep washing your hands as soon as you think they are dirty of germs on a continuous basis and at any time.

This could happen every few minutes or you decide to check the lock every time you pass it or when you have this thought that you must check.

Another part to OCD is that intrusive thoughts develop, these maybe thoughts that you want to hurt g/b/friend or someone else you love and are unreasonable.

Please ask anything you want.

Geoff.

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Trying, I did reply very early this morning.

I hope it appears.

Geoff.