FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

I want to ask my GP for a antidepressant perscription how do i go about that?

Jez1
Community Member

Hey guys,

so anyway i have had depression and social anxiety for as long as i can remember. I have been to the GP before which recommended me see a psychologist i did three sessions then gave up i didn't feel like it was helping. I want to try an antidepressant now but i get anxiety just from seeing a doctor about anything let alone asking him about my mental health how do i go about it without coming off as weird if you can could anyone share their experience with me thanks Jerry.

2 Replies 2

romantic_thi3f
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Jerry,

Welcome to the forums and thanks for your post.

I honestly think that honestly and transparency is really the best option; going in and saying that medication is something that you'd like to try. You certainly wouldn't be the first one to ask your GP this - it's not weird at all. In fact, it's kind of the opposite, because you're taking a stand and advocating for your mental health.

If your GP seems reluctant to give you medication or wants you to try a different therapist - feel free to ask why or say no. While your GP may have your best intentions at heart, you know yourself best so it's okay to advocate and push for what you need.

Hope this helps and good luck,

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Jerry, and thanks for posting your comment.

If you feel as though you need to try an AD (antidepressant) then you could write down on some paper what and why is making you feel this way, this will make it easier when you see your doctor, all you have to do is hand over what you have written down to them.

You can also do the K-10 test by clicking on 'The Facts' above, if you could do this a few times, but not straight after one another, then you can also take this with you when you see the doctor.

Jerry, you are not weird at all, please don't think like this, your doctor will know how you are feeling and will do everything possible to help you.

You can always try another doctor/ counsellor if they don't suit you, and this may help if you once again click on'Get Support' then scroll down until you see 'Find a professional'.

Ask your doctor about the 'mental health plan', this will entitle you to 10 Medicare paid sessions to see a psychologist.

We are behind you and want to help you get better.

Would love to hear back from you.

Geoff.