FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

I need positive stories of people who have overcome panic disorders agoraphobia

AnotherOne12
Community Member
Since March this year, I had one major panic attack and have been stuck in a loop feeling mini anxiety attacks 10 times a day. Places I used to go to now give me a feeling of anxiety. Whats worse is its accompanied by feeling off balance and dizzy. I need some serious help. I need to hear positive stories pf how to overcome this from people who have overcome this type of panic and anxiety.
2 Replies 2

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello AnotherOne, thanks for posting your comment and what you have asked is a terrible situation to be in and very sorry it's something you are having trouble with.

People feel trapped when this happens and if you see a counsellor/psychologist they will be able to treat you with Exposure Therapy or desensitisation in CBT therapy which slowly overcomes these types of concerns.

It's much better done by a psychologist who you can see on a mental health plan, which entitles you to 10 Medicare paid sessions, so can you please let us know if you have seen your doctor because you will need a referral.

I'm interested whether you know about this type of treatment.

Best wishes.

Geoff.

romantic_thi3f
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi AnotherOne12,

Thank you for your post. Geoff is right in talking about exposure therapy. This is one of the things that's really helped me with my anxiety.

Often with anxiety and especially agoraphobia we try to do things but they make us anxious so we naturally avoid them, only every time we try them it makes us more anxious, to the point where everything makes us anxious and then we become a bit stuck in our fears.

The aim with exposure therapy is to do things a little bit at a time, stepping just out of our comfort zone so that we're uncomfortable but it's not full on freaking out.

Maybe if you were afraid to go to Coles for example, a step in exposure therapy might be walking around it, or near it, or beside the door, and then working up to going inside.

While it is scary, it's baby steps, and I know from experience that you can do it too.