FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

I’m terrified that I have MS

that guy
Community Member

Hello Everyone

i have health anxiety and I’m currently going through my worst attack right now. It all started about a month ago, when my muscles started twitching and pain that felt like someone was poking me with a needle. My arms and legs were also feeling like they were tired. These symptoms would come and go, and wouldn’t last too long. After a blood test about 2 weeks ago, I was diagnosed with Glandular fever, which made me feel better that it wasn’t serious, and the symptoms died down.

However on Wednesday the symptoms came back, and now I’m also light headed, with some headaches and even my eyes have been hurting, along with itching all over my body, these symptoms are usually worse in the morning. my brain has gone from Calm, to full on anxiety mode. And of course I looked on google to try and get some reassurance, and it told me that I had MS. I’ve seen how MS can affect people, and I’m terrified now.

I don’t know if it’s worth going back to my doctor as I think she may say it’s just the glandular fever, but honestly I don’t know what to do, my Parents are dismissive, I don’t see my psychologist for another month and a half and I gotta go to work today. I feel like I’m stuck between a rock and a hard place.

sorry for the rant, but thanks for reading aswell

48 Replies 48

Johnny_
Community Member

Hey that guy,

I appreciate the words however I’m in the same boat as you, I started sliding backwards on Saturday with just the fatigue, possibly due to the heat as it’s been shocking and was hit hard on the Monday where the tremors, tight chest, tight throat, burning forehead and being emotional came back too.

Today, it’s all still there but the severity is far less. My dr feels it’s due to the heat, lack of sleep as it’s been hot and it’s just part of the cycle of my body trying to get back to normal. When I look at my diary, it actually shows this too...it cycles around every 4 weeksish, each time I get a lot better before the crash.

im sorry your feeling scared and that my reply is a bit late too, I hope today your doing a little better.

Just remember, glandular fever is anywhere from 3-12months, it’s different for everyone. I’ve personally spoken too 5 people who had it. They hated it too lol. None of their stories were the same and all of them mentioned symptoms that we have both experienced. I feel because my body is fatigued from fighting this for so long that maybe my anxiety is far worse then normal during the hard days.

on the medication, my go said anxiety medication takes 2-6weeks to fully kick in. I asked about meds today and my dr wants to hold off another week so I am unless I go backwards again.

Have you tried meditation or anything as yet? does it help? I only ask as it’s helped me a lot through this time. In fact, it’s something I rather enjoy now and will continue to use it even once I’m better.

I know how tuff this is mate, keep your support close and don’t just talk about this crap either, talk about positive things with people around you too, it lifts you up. Take care mate, always here 🙂

Johnny_
Community Member

Hey that guy,

I hope your doing well. Thought I’d pass this little bit of info onto yourself.

A friend of mine put me onto this website called earthclinic. It’s about natural remedies for various illnesses that people have used successfully, it’s quite interesting.

Anyways, look up “mono” and you’ll find glandular fever stories, mostly for teens though.

The main thing I read is lots of people were taking lots of vitamin C and cold pressed coconut oil. I checked with my dr who said it’s ok to try those kind of quantities. I Started today so I’ll let you know how I go in time.

stay strong:)

that guy
Community Member

Hey Johnny

ill defiently look it up, I’ve been a little weary about natural remedies though in the past, so I’ll see how it goes.

well I can add Nausea and headaches to the list of symptoms. Started feeling nauseous last weekend thought it cones and goes. But the headaches, oh god, this one I’m having has been the worst yet.

its been mainly my right side above my eye, but it’s been all over my head, it’s been going on since Wednesday, and while it’s not bad and debilitating, it’s defiantly been my worst yet ibuprofen has been helpful with them though, but man that scared me when it woke me up in the middle of the night.

Defiently going to discuss that with my doc

44Max44
Community Member
Hey mate, sorry you're feeling this way.

As you can see from my 100 posts, all of which are related to health anxiety in some way, I'm no stranger to health anxiety. In my experience, there is no limit to what your brain can and can't trick you into feeling, I have experienced probably every symptom in the book including all of the ones you've mentioned and not even once has one of them ended up actually being something... it's weird not being able to trust the sensations you're feeling...

One thing I have noticed, though, is that when I think something is wrong with me, lowe & behold, that thing I think is wrong with me will start producing symptoms.
For example, I can be experiencing no symptoms whatsoever, then all of a sudden a thought pops into my mind or something I see gets me thinking about a possible health problem I could have (for this example let's say stomach problems), and then lowe & behold I start to experience symptoms related to whatever health problem I'm worried about.
This happens 100% of the time with me. I've even tested my theory by trying to trick myself into thinking I have 'X' just to see if symptoms related to 'X' start appearing afterward, and they do. Even right now just mentioning stomach problems has made me start to experience stomach-related symptoms.

I'd really recommend The Anxiety Guy on YouTube. He helped me through a lot of tough spots when I was suffering from Health Anxiety really bad last year. After using some of his techniques, I've recovered quite a lot and don't experience Health Anxiety nearly as bad or as often.

If you want to go to the doctor, go. I went probably 20-30 times within a couple of months for minor issues that I thought were life-threatening at the time (because of health anxiety), and the doctors were always happy to help and understanding of what I was going through. There's no harm in getting something you're worried about checked out, even if it ends up being nothing.

I hope any of this helps. 🙂

Johnny_
Community Member

Hey thatguy,

i thought I’d check in with you and see how you have been doing this last year? it’s been a while so I hope you have made great progress like myself.

im not100% but I’m certainly close to it and the anxiety I use to get is rarely there and when it is, it’s very faint and short lived too. Fingers crossed things are great for you too:))

that guy
Community Member

Heyyyyy Johnny, it’s been a while. How have you been?

I ended up coming back on here just to remind me of some things, and I must admit was really happy to see your reply, as I was literally thinking “hmmm I wonder how Johnny is doing” and bam, saw your reply.

so most of my symptoms have died down a bit, but they mainly tend to come an go now. One thing that I’ve learnt is that I’m now 95 percent sure it’s just anxiety, my main symptom now is muscle twitching. Though these aren’t annoying me as much now, I still get tired every now and then, but it seems to come in waves now, though going to bed at midnight every night did not help.

it’s been a rough year, my Nanna died, so I had to deal with the fallout from that, it was hard as we were quite close. But my mum was a wreck, so I was mostly worried for her rather then myself.

hope your doing well mate, hopefully you see this

Johnny_
Community Member

Heyyyyya That guy!

i actually got on now for the same reason lol. It’s been too long but it’s great to see your msg, it’s lifted me up a bit...work stress day for me lol.

im glad to hear that your doing much better, this is fantastic news and great to hear you are getting past it. I have no doubt you’ll be 100% very soon...or maybe even by the time you read this haha. So good hearing a successful story.

Ahh man, really sorry to hear about your Nan..sending all my support to you and family during these hard times. How is everyone coping? it’s not easy to go through. Unfortunately I can relate to how you feel here as I recently lost my father. It sucks!

its hard to support others around you when you are grieving yourself... I don’t think I’ve cried so much in front of family before but I’m now more comfortable with that now, as we all are. I can only say, sit and hang with family, hold each other, no words needed, it tends to help. Time helps too. I ended up making a kind of shrine for my father..helped me a lot.

Regarding my health, its much better..not as great as yours but much better. my energy rarely drops now, unless I really puss it...however I’m still limited to how much mental stress I can handle which causes the muscle tension to flare up...I am being patient here though as it’s getting much better...I think in the next few months, this will be gone too...just a little to go.

look at us getting past this stuff, it’s really cool!

thanks for your msg mate. until the next msg.

that guy
Community Member

Hey again Johnny

First, I'm sending my condolences for the loss of your Father, i know its been a while and I'm fairly late though. I do apologize, Life gets in the way sometimes.

I'm having lots of stress with work as well, we're moving into a new building at the end of November and trying to get everything sorted has been a nightmare. We have to fit 18 floors into 10 floors, Maddening.

I really appreciate the message about my nanna, she passed so suddenly it was a massive shock. But the fallout was Horrible. I won't get into details as still thinking about it makes me mad, but all I'll say is that it has brought out the worst side in my relatives, and since then I have not spoken to my Aunt and cousins since, and i don't want to!
My health has taken a massive turn, for better and worse. After I realized I gained weight after nannas death, it was a massive wake up call and i vowed to lose the weight I gained and then some! So I dieted, I exercised more then ever, I did some Fasting etc. Not only have I lost the weight, but now I'm at my lightest ever since high school. Its an amazingly good feeling when shirts don't feel tight anymore. Not only that, but I've gotten my energy back, and I've been walking even longer distances then before and even committing some sections to jogging.

At least that was until Covid struck me!

Yeah there was an outbreak in my work building and unfortunately i couldn't escape it. This was almost 6 weeks ago, and even though I've recovered, I'm pretty much back to where I was after the glandular fever, the tiredness, the muscle aches and twitches, the headaches, even Coffee didn't taste well for a while. It could be a lot worse I know, but it felt like I hit another brick in the wall

Hope you're doing well champ! Reach out if you need anything!

Johnny_
Community Member

Heya the guy!

It’s great to hear from you. I appreciate the condolences. I have accepted dads passing now, still miss him but I’m doing well here.

Your work situation sounds like madness. You have to wonder if the ones who make these decisions actually care about others, my work is the same. I hope it’s sorted out now. 

I’m sorry to hear about the family issues around your nanna’s passing. I’m sure you value family like I do however we can’t control their actions/emotions only how we react to it. Letting go of what someone has done to us is important for our own health. This builds up over time and cause issues. I’v learnt this earlier this year. It turns out my chronic fatigue is over, I knew something wasn’t right as my energy was great! Turns out, I was very stressed for sometime from work, constantly carrying the office (long story) which resulted in a break down so as part of my recovery I am trying to forgive those people from work too but I’m doing this for my benefit, not theirs.. it’s hard. I hope things improve here for you soon, be patient though.

Im excited to read the positives about you exercising/dieting etc this is awesome! I’m happy for you. I can hear it in your words you got right into this. I enjoy this myself and it’s a great stress relief.

Sorry to hear about you getting COVID you will blast through this, it’s but a speed bump compared to chronic fatigue.

take care mate..chat anytime.