FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

How to beat Anxiety disorders

Jezbr
Community Member

Hi all, I'm Josh. I'm a regular reader of these forums and have found some great tips on how to manage day to day with chronic anxiety so thank you to everyone. Unfortunately, I have a phobia of my medication which is like a wall stopping me getting over this illness, I am constantly dizzy and shaky and have a sort of drunk feeling 24/7 I've taken the meds for a few days but stopped because they just amplified my symptoms 10 fold. I'm just wondering if anyone else has the same issue and how they overcome it. How do you take a tablet that makes you feel worse and not start to panic as soon as yo swallow it? I've suffered my entire life with anxiety and panic attacks and want to beat this and feel human again. I miss going out for dinner and a drink with friends without that fear of collapsing or getting so dizzy I collapse. Anxiety sucks! Atm I feel strong and able to manage but that fear that at any given moment I will go into panic is still lingering.

If anyone has any advice that would be awesome 🙂

Thanks 🙂

3 Replies 3

SarahLulu
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi there Josh.

I also struggle to take medication sometimes do, not scared just struggle to swallow. Have you talked to psychiatrist about other alternatives to oral medication? I'm not completely sure but they're might be some in the forms of needles (not sure if that's better) or you could try meditation if you haven't tried that.

Your best bet is to talk to the psychiatrist. Good luck Josh

Boo1986
Community Member

Hi Josh, just to add to Sarah's advice, I found that when I first started my medication it did cause some very bizarre feelings (including dizziness etc) but that after a couple of days things started to ease. I think our bodies just react to having something new in our system but gradually our body recognises it as 'normal' and adjusts so that we don't feel these symptoms every time. If you can manage, it may be worth trying to 'stick it out' a little longer to give your body some time to adjust and seeing if that helps. If it doesn't, I would speak to your doctor and explain how you are feeling as there may be similar things which don't have the same side-effects and may work better for you.

I remember the first time I was giving sleeping pills and I ready the little leaflet on side effects and then was too scared to take them... I just left them in my drawer and rationalised that if I needed them at least I have them there, but I didn't want to take them if I could avoid it because I was more afraid of what they would do than what the lack of sleep would do because at least I was used to the lack of sleep.

Anxiety makes some 'simple' things seem unmanageable... medication doesn't always hold the answers, but for me seeing a psychologist on a regular basis really helped. Even if you still need the medication, the psych can help you find ways to beat this fear.

Please do keep in touch. I hope things are going better for you.

Hi mate, josh here also. I've also been taking some meds for the past few months and the first lot I tried also made my anxiety 10 times worse I felt more on edge and had really bad bloating and tight chest and my breathing felt really laboured. After a week I stopped these and tried some other meds. These were better and I've been on them for a couple of months. These ones make me really tired and a bit sick in the stomach as well as having dizzy spells which I find is the worst side effect. I am now trying to come off these and am down to a very low dose. I want to try and deal with this without meds as I'd rather not have these horrible side effects. I have recently joined gym and started to run most nights with has helped a lot. Just need to keep yourself busy and your mind off the worrying, I know easier said than done. Keep strong mate