FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Home alone for the first time in 10 weeks

KG_1975
Community Member

I have had a recent bout of severe depression and anxiety.  I have had a 4 week stay in a mental health unit and I am doing better, but my husband does FIFO and has to return to work after 10 weeks off.  I am really anxious about being home by myself for the first time in so long.  He has been doing all the cooking and housework and I’m worried with how I’m going to cope.  I am still struggling with motivation and get really tired easily.  Does anyone have any advice on how to make this transition easier?

1 Reply 1

JED1980
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi. 

Its really good to hear you are doing better. 

Whilst i have never been in your situation, i have some ideas of what could make things easier.

Could your husband perhaps do some meal prep for you? Or do a big shop (if you are not comfortable doing it yourself)  and get you some meals to pop in the freezer? That way its one less thing to have to worry about. Meals are there, you just have to choose what you would like to have.

In regards to house work (and this is what I try and do) do one job or room a day. So maybe clean the bathroom one day, then a load of washing the next.

You don't have to do everything all at once.

Slow and steady and just take it one day at a time.

If you feel overwhelmed, just stop. Rest, relax. Get things done when you can.

You've got this! 

JX