FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

High functioning anxious people.

Pixie15
Community Member

I am not sure why I am writing this.

Maybe because I am a high functioning anxious person. It is something I can do when I feel that something needs to be done.

I would like to hear from other high functioning anxious people.

How do you cope? How do you deal with the need to do something when there is nothing to be done.

78 Replies 78

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Pixie15

What a great topic 🙂

I have had acute anxiety since 1983 when I was 23 and its taken a while to dump most of the 'Type A' personality I used to have. It was major pain....

• the higher we strive...the further we have to fall...
  • sometimes we have dont have to dot all the 'i's and cross all the 'T's
  • perfectionism is an expensive disorder both psychologically and fiscally
  • we dont have to 'busy'
  • high expectations are a waste of effort and mental energy
  • practicing the art of doing nothing...(not even meditating)...just nothing

Being a 'High functioning Anxious person' is a free pass to ill health (just my humble opinion of course)

Kind thoughts (nice flowers too:-))

Paulx

romantic_thi3f
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Pixie15,

Great question! This is one I struggle a lot with -

- I make lists. I'm a pretty organised person and the lists help me feel a bit more in control of things.

- I make mind-maps and vision boards. It helps me feel a bit clearer and it reminds me that a lot of the time things can wait and I don't have to do everything today.

- I use the rule of 3 when it comes to task management, so everyday I write down 3 things I have to do. This helps the anxious part of me with the need to do things but it's a win-win because 3 things is better than 3182 things.

- Meditate. I'm not in a routine yet, but it's hard for me to just sit. It's a practice.

- Just sit with the feeling. Why is it that I feel something 'needs to be done'? For me personally, that links back to my depression and feeling like I'm not doing enough, so recognising that is a big key for me.

This is proving an interesting thread for me...I am glad I stumbled across it. Not sure if I am one of these high functioning anxious or not...as I never feel I am functioning "quite high enough" if you get my drift.

My experience of myself is...no matter what I am doing, especially if it is relaxing, just being, or nothing (which is unbearable for me) I always think there "must be something else I should be doing instead". Is that similar to what Pixie wrote , "something needs to be done"?

I began making lists, only short achievable ones when my anxiety started to become a real problem....it was/is a way of not being so overwhelmed.......I feel someone is always "watching me" not literally, but some mysterious "someone" or that some "rules" are saying I am neglecting a task, or there must be a better way to spend my time.

As if someone is keeping check on what I am doing, how and when.

Even if it is something worthwhile.....I seem to need to find the next worthwhile, useful thing that has to be done! I never think I am functioning high enough!

It has been enlightening to see some others feel a similar way and were able to describe it so accurately.

harvey01
Community Member
Hey! I feel your pain. I am a fourth year law student, almost about to finish my degree when I almost overnight started having severe anxiety and panic attacks. I had to stop working, but thankfully finished 3 out of 4 of my law subjects for the year. When I began therapy, I did not realise how high-functioning I was, and how that contributed to my downfall. I guess I'm slowly learning to get my work done, but also have time where I don't think about any deadlines or work (it is really difficult!) I wish I could be more helpful and have more answers, but quite frankly I'm trying to work it out myself. You just have to take pride in the fact that you have anxiety, an illness, and you keep going everyday and keep being a high-functioning person despite this awful illness.

Pixie15
Community Member

Hello and thank you to everybody who has responded.

There are many gems here which I have taken on board and can definitely see something of what I was getting at in all your responses.

harvey01 thank you for sharing and I hope you do finish your studies. From my experience it is very difficult to not have any deadlines or work to complete.

Moonstruck I know that centre of attention feeling. I think I get it more if I have been cocooning too much.

blondguy you have summed it up really well I think. Perfectionism and expectations are my downfalls as well as being too nice.

Maybe just need to accept we are as we are and do the next thing ...

Hi Pixie

Its always a treat to get a response let alone a heartfelt compliment...:-)

I am like yourself, always striving to achieve....all the time....and being nice all the time....I never knew it was one of the major triggers for my anxiety in my late teens, early 20's....

I love your last sentence which has just been a huge help to me just reading it.....

Pixie15 said: "Maybe just need to accept we are as we are and do the next thing"

Great advice Pixie....you just helped me...a lot.....in one sentence....Nice1 🙂

I keep forgetting that calm and true acceptance is the key that unlocks the door to having some peace

Always great to here from you Pixie

My Best

Paulx

Pixie15
Community Member

Hello blondguy,

Thanks.

Rather nice to find that I have accidentally written something quite profane.

cheers

Pixie15
Community Member
I think I meant profound haha!!

Methinks that was a Freudian slip Pixie!