FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Having Difficulty Telling the Boss About Your Anxiety? Try this! (New Posters Welcome!)

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Everybody. This is just one tip that may help save your job and reduce work related anxiety too!

I had many years of GAD (free floating anxiety) and employers just never understood or cared. Unfortunately profit comes first before a junior or senior employee with an anxiety disorder (not always of course...there are 'some' decent employers that understand)

If you are stuck explaining your anxiety to your manager/supervisor let them know that you have 'this occasional claustrophobic condition' that you get 'even in big spaces'. I have used it successfully many times...It may help you stay employed where telling the truth is not an option

• This works because there is the stigma associated with 'GAD' or 'Anxiety' or 'Panic Attacks'
  • This works because managers understand what claustrophobia is....'they get it'
  • If you have a meeting or a car trip as a passenger and your anxiety is spiking....let them know about your 'Claustrophobia' not your Anxiety
  • Your job security will be enhanced as 'Claustrophobia' is very understood....Mental Illness unfortunately isnt..........yet...

If you have pro-active managers that are understanding re mental illness then please ignore this post....(and good on you!)

This post is for people that suffer anxiety disorder that may lose their job/career and need a more 'comfortable' way of explaining it 🙂

Your thoughts/opinions/queries on this method of informing non caring employers are Welcome!

Thankyou for taking the time to read my post

my kind thoughts

Paul

18 Replies 18

SubduedBlues
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Paul

That advice is golden, thanks for sharing.

SB
(it'd be nice if there were something similar for Tourette's)

Guest_9809
Community Member

Firstly, I'm not quite sure whether I qualify to post on this thread, as I am no longer a new poster. I've been around now for a couple of weeks. Are you only after the opinion of new posters? Regardless, since I'm here I'll give you my opinion anyway.

I am not in favour of lying about my illness. As far as I'm concerned, I either tell them what ails me, or I tell them nothing. No middle ground. I am not in the habit of being dishonest, and will not deliberately tell my employer a fallacy, even at the cost of my job.

If it is proven that I am not 'up to' performing the duties that I have been employed to do, then it wouldnt matter whether I was suffering from depression and anxiety, or claustrophobia! Ultimately an inability to do the job, no matter the reason, results in the loss of my job!

I am a little surprised that you appear to be encouraging people to lie about their mental health. I thought BB were trying to educate people about mental illness and to reduce the stigma that there is over mental health. Surely being deceptive like you are suggesting is not helping the cause?

Taurus

Taurus

I really don't think Paul is encouraging people to lie about their illness, rather providing an alternative excuse as to why they all of a sudden feel like the world is closing in on them. Each of us is different and everyone experiences Anxiety differently, but I can definitely see the symptomatic similarities between the two conditions.

Regardless if we are 100% or something less than that, if we are not performing in our duties we could lose our position. My interpretation on Paul's advice is to provide them something that explains the symptoms they are experiencing, as not all employers are as understanding as others.

No one should have to tell their employer about their condition, whether they do tell or don't tell is really up to the individual. With my TS, for years I would explain the tics away by revealing that my grandma's brother had Parkinsons and that it's in the genetics. Where that piece of information is the truth, allowing the boss to draw a conclusion that my body shakes and twitches were somehow caused by that was misleading; and therefore a lie. Tourette's is hardly understood by many doctors, let alone lay people. Why should I have to tell employers that I am handicapped? Particularly if it doesnt effect my work.

Well, that's my two cents
SB

Hi SB and Taurus 🙂 Thanks for responding.

Taurus, I used to say anxiety disorder to employers and my job usually disappeared within 2 weeks. Claustrophobia actually has identical symptoms as an anxiety attack anyway. Im just trying to help people increase their job security thus their ability to pay their rent, bills, food and to have a reasonable quality of life instead of being on Newstart. (New posters are welcome as well as regular posters too) 🙂

SB, You are right about Tourette's, I wish there was an 'alternative' to explain it, making your job more secure and feeling more accepted. Its unfortunate that we cant be comfortable just saying what we suffer from. Ive been trying to stop the stigma re mental illness for years but we seem to be a long way off where employer empathy is concerned.

My Best, Paul

BballJ
Community Member

Hi Paul,

Great post, i recently changed jobs (went to another company that my old manager currently works at) and had to do a medical as apart of the hiring process and in the medical they asked about any mental illness's so i disclosed my anxiety and seeing a psychologist. My manager rings me a few days later (My manger is also my mentor, we have a great relationship) and said "i just want to discuss some results of yours" and bought the anxiety and psychologist thing, my anxiety went into overdrive thinking, I wont get the job because of this and what would my boss say and he just simply said, "I just wanted to call and see if you are ok and if you need anything, you can talk me" - That was a breath of fresh air. So yes, having a boss who understands is amazing, but I can also see how having a boss who doesn't is very tough and frustrating so great advice on this post Paul and I hope it helps some people out with their work places. Mental illness sufferers certainly don't need the added stress of not being comfortable in their work place because they can't fully disclose their mental illness.

My best,

Jay

Hi Jay and thanks for posting 🙂

You are so lucky to have a boss that cares for his people, not just the bottom line. Nice1

Really appreciate your understanding of why I wrote this post.

my best

Paul

sagebrush
Community Member

Hi Paul

Now you tell me... I'll have to use this next time I get a job.

Was fired for my anxiety (well not officially), but once they found out about it, I was gone in 4 weeks. Took them to court and got a payout, but still. Nowhere near having a regular income.

Cheers,

John

Hi John

Thanks for responding!

Your situation is identical to mine. I do feel for you with your employer 'moving you out' which is very common.

I had difficulty attending huge exhibitions and getting on a 737 for interstate travel just wasnt on so I had to 'get around these events' by saying I had claustrophobia. (which is anxiety anyway)

If you can get the job without discussing anxiety thats a bonus, and then deal with any triggers for anxiety one at a time. It depends on what you do for a living of course.

you are not alone here John. You are more than welcome to post back when convenient for you

my kindest

Paul

Hi again BlondGuy

I just posted a decision I made in High Functioning Anxious People if you want to take a look. But to continue on this thread of thought....there is no way I could tell my boss (casual part time, I work from home) of my extreme anxiety which is getting worse, (because of the job and more responsibility being heaped on me to help him keep his business afloat) I know he relies on me more and more, though he would never admit it (has a huge ego and keeps up a facade, cannot bear the idea of his "retiring" although well past the age to do so).

As I write, I am procrastinating about beginning work for today - I have things to do - and am paralysed. I have no interest in it, have done it for so many years I cannot summon up the energy to even begin. Other traumatic events in my family, personal and physical health areas have taken their toll.

I cannot switch off and get this work done.

I could well get to the end of the day and have accomplished nothing, the work will build up until I am swamped at the last minute. I sit here, wasting precious time. I cannot begin. I don't know what to do - I am needed to complete this work - there is no one else to take my place and fill in for me.

I need tips how to "get on with it" today, right now - the longer I sit here wasting time, the more i beat myself up about my weakness. The type of work I do requires decisions, ideas, and creativity - if it was just copying typing or filing stuff away, more robotic and assembly line.....I could do it. I am in a bad way today, re this work....... sorry Paul.......