FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Going to see a doctor about anxiety?

Dante_C_
Community Member
Hey guys, I was wondering if any of you have gone to see a doctor / GP about challenges you were facing mentally. If so what were your experiences talking with them like? Thinking about going in soon 🙂
15 Replies 15

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion
Hi and welcome to beyond blue. I saw my GP before I started to see a psychologist. I would have to say that my experience was positive. I would assume you know it is a long appointment. And helpful to know if there is any family history - it was something I was asked about.

Tim

AnxiousAF
Community Member
I've book an appointment today for tomorrow to get a hold of my issues. I've very open about my anxiety and that its really taking over me and affecting my life.

Gambit87
Community Member

Hi Dante C.

welcome to the forums!

I saw a GP and broke down in front of her.

It was probably the best thing I have done - she didn't mess around and said bluntly 'You need help' .It was a very positive experience.

Dont be afraid to open up and be straight up.

CalmCat
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Dante C,

Thank for your wonderful first post.

I was in your shoes years ago, going to multiple doctors for help. Each doctor gave a different response till I had a diagnosis from a psychiatrist. Then all GP's followed the advise of the psychiatrist.

So find the GP that is right for you and or a psychiatrist.

Really hope one of the reply's has answered your questions.

Regards,

Doran

jemma09
Community Member

Hi Dante C!

I encourage you to speak to a doctor about your concerns. They are there to help you.

I have spoken with three doctors about anxiety. 2/3 were great. 1/3 was not the best. It depends on the doctor. Two doctors were supportive, helped me get referred to Headspace (as I'm under 25). One helped me organise a mental health plan promptly so I could get therapy as soon as possible. The doctor that was not so helpful I just found that they were not empathetic to my situation. Unfortunately, they sort of brushed me off and just said I had tension and didn't offer much help. That is why I spoke to someone else, to make sure I could get the help I needed.

If a doctor brushes you off or is not supportive, please please don't let it discourage you - definitely find someone else! You deserve a supportive doctor!

I wish you all the best with chatting to a doctor. Hopefully this will be positive for you. Stay safe! 🙂

Hi AnxiousAF (love your username by the way!)

Just want to say good on you for booking that appointment. I hope you can get the support and help you need. Take care 🙂

jemma09
Community Member

Hi Gambit87!

You're not alone, I broke down in front of a doctor too and they were very kind. They understood I needed help and got me support right away!

Take care! 🙂

Jesicca
Community Member
Hi Dante,

I struggled to find the courage to talk to someone and actually made and cancelled a few appointments before going in. I eventually told my boyfriend about my upcoming appointment and asked him to come with me to wait in the waiting room. This was helpful as it made me feel accountable for my own mental health. The GP was really supportive and although some of the questions were confronting and it was a bit of a tough conversation (I did start crying when talking about my symptoms), I felt safe and non judged which was kind of relieving.

I hope your experience with the GP feels just as safe and supportive and I am proud of you for finding the courage to take this next step in your mental health journey.

Dante_C_
Community Member
Thank you for all your lovely and encouraging words. You guys are awesome! 🙂