FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Getting P's over 30

cno1234
Community Member

I never got round to getting my P's in my 30's. The thought of doing it now is causing me anxiety and distress. I am wondering if there is anyone out there who is in a similar situation? 

Thanks

5 Replies 5

Hopefull7
Community Member

Are you talking about getting your P drivers licence?

sbella02
Community Champion
Community Champion

Cno1234,

Thank you so much for posting here, we're happy to have you on the forums. I'm in my twenties, but I've stumbled across your post and thought I may be able to offer some reassurance.

I'm assuming that you mean your P's as in your driver's licence?

May I ask, what's your main concern if you do go for your P's? Is there anything in particular that's causing you more distress, or is it the process in general?

If it's something that you want to do, that you think would be beneficial for you, and that you're able to do, go for it. There's no shame in setting productive goals, regardless of your age. The earlier that you can go for it now, the sooner you will be relieved of the distress and anxiety that this situation is causing you. Better yet, the sooner you'll be onto the next stage of your P's, and then your full licence. 

Feel free to keep chatting if you'd like, we're here to listen and give advice if you need.

All the best, SB

cno1234
Community Member

Hey Sbella, thanks for your reply. Its really heartwarming. 

I am referring to my P's test yes, for driving. I think what's holding me back is the process of it, and it's triggering a lot of thoughts for me about why I didn't do it sooner - and how I feel like a minority who doesn't drive at my age. It's really a strange feeling. 

Thanks for your support : ) 

Eagle Ray
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi cno1234,

While I got my P’s at 18 I didn’t feel confident to sit my test so I didn’t go for the test until I was 22. I remember all my group of friends driving except me and feeling a bit like you, thinking like I was supposed to have it by 18 at the latest. But quite a few people don’t get it straight away. A guy I went to school with and met again a few years later didn’t get his until about 22 as well. He said he just didn’t feel comfortable getting it sooner. I have a friend who is about to turn 40 and she hasn’t got her licence. So I wouldn’t be hard on yourself. As you are a bit older you will bring more maturity to it as well.

Some very well known people have never gotten their licence. Sir David Attenborough who is in his 90s now doesn’t have a driver’s licence. So some people also choose not to get it which is really fine.

But if you want to get it I would say go for it as sbella says. There are plenty of people who get their licence later on.

Take care and all the best,

Eagle Ray 

Richju
Community Member

Hi Cno1234,

Yes, I agree - go for it!

I never wanted to learn to drive but I got my licence at 22 because I wanted my older son to go to Kindy and had to drive him there. I was always really nervous and gave up driving for 20 years. I let my licence expire so I had to learn all over again when I was 64 years old. The driving instructor said I wasn't the oldest person he had taught. So yes, give it a go and you'll know whether you want to take your test or not once you've had a few lessons.

Good luck and please continue to post so we will know how you are getting on.

Kindest regards,

Richju