FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

General feeling of dread

Leelu
Community Member

Hi All,

New to the forum. I have had GAD since I was a teenager. Recently I'm having a bad patch of anxiety, the constant feeling of dread that something awful is about to happen has returned and I find myself feeling too anxious and agitated to do the things I used to enjoy. The thing thats really bothering me is I've also developed a phobia of driving, I can manage to drive short distances and stay local but I can no longer drive over a big bridge near my house or on any freeways, my panic and anxiety has convinced me that I will have a terrible panic attack whilst driving over the bridge or on the freeway and I'll pass out and hurt myself or someone else.. I'm really not sure how to get past it, even looking at the bridge or freeway entrance now sends me into a panic attack. It's really limiting the places I can go and really exasperating my poor partner.. has anyone else had a phobia like this?

Thanks

2 Replies 2

Indra
Community Member

Hi Leelu,

Yes, I can relate what you going through. I had an anxiety disorder in my late teens, early twenties. I had a health issue that I nearly died from and found it hard to be alone. The driving part was I couldn't do long distance as I found I needed to be close to a place that had a hospital  Living in the country at the time made it very restrictive to go anywhere. The psychologist I saw offered exposure therapy along with a journal. Exposing your self to your fear of driving - doing it in small increments at a time, but making yourself do it. It took time, but I got there. Take your phone with you as a comfort item and learn some breathing techniques - as this is what takes over physically with the anxiety when your breathing is out if whack. Just take it a day at a time, write things down and don't give up. 

Indra 

Jacko777
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Leelu,

Welcome to the Beyond Blue forums. I am sorry to hear you are suffering from this condition. People on this site will have experience with what you are talking about and have support and advice.

Are you seeking professional help with this? A psychologist or counselor could really help you through this. Do you have any practices you can do, like breathing exercises or meditation, anything that has worked for you in the past?

For myself I have found that I cannot have fear and love in my heart at the same time. I had several phobias that were getting out of hand and they all dissipated as I worked through my stuff with a psychologist. I'm not sure if a doctor would recommend this but I find that if I find a way to give love in a situation my fears reduce. I used to be overly fearful of heights, so I would focus on loving the experience rather than give way to the risk in a situation. I used to have a social phobia, by loving that I can meet new people and have new experiences I have overcome this as well. I had to really ask my self, 'What is the worst that can happen?' Now passing out whilst driving on a bridge would not be great, but is it likely to happen? It takes practice but we have to control our internal dialogue, if we tell ourselves that something bad will happen that perhaps it will, however if we tell ourselves that everything will be okay, perhaps it will. You could practice loving that you have a bridge to cross, beats walking/swimming, stay focused on love.

Love to you!Jack