FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Breathing

ave
Community Member
Hi, this is only my second post but recently I felt like I can’t breathe properly, like I’m breathing but not breathing in enough oxygen and I’m not sure how to help it especially when trying to sleep. Just wondering if there’s any tips or anyone that relates to this. I try to focus on my breathing but it doesn’t really do anything.
4 Replies 4

Fizz_wizz
Community Member

Hey ave

It sounds like a panic attack maybe I too get this you just need to try and calm yourself which I know is easier said then done but just relax and then it should pass.

jess334
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Ave,

Thanks for posting again. Please post as much as you need too. These forums are a great place to find advice from people going through the same stuff.

Difficulty breathing can be a sign of anxiety. Have you seen your GP about anxiety? They might be able to go refer you to a psychologist who can go through management tips for your specific symptoms.

Beyond Blue has some great resources on management of anxiety symptoms.

www.beyondblue.org.au/the-facts/anxiety/treatments-for-anxiety/anxiety-management-strategies

There is a bit of a trick to slow breathing. It can sometimes help to take slow even breaths in and out through your nose. Breathing too deeply might make you feel light headed, try to breath in for 3 counts and out for 3 counts. Or listen to one of Beyond Blues relaxation videos and follow their instructions.

www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/staying-well/relaxation-exercises

I hope these are helpful.

Jess

ave
Community Member
thanks so much - I’m booked in with my GP on Monday so hopefully that goes well! it just come suddenly and it doesn’t feel like a panic attack but my breath feels shorter than us usual.

jess334
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

That's great that you are seeing your GP. It can be a difficult first step to take but having a good supportive doctor can make a lot of difference.

Sometimes you can experience symptoms of anxiety without a panic attack. I've was diagnosed with an anxiety disorder 16 years ago and now days I only have a panic attack if my anxiety is really bad or has been going on for a while. I still feel anxious and have symptoms of anxiety, but panic attacks are pretty rare.

Good luck with your GP.

Jess