FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Blushing

TJ21
Community Member

Hi Everyone,

I'm sure I posted this thread last night however I can't find it! I have been having issues with social anxiety and blushing all of my life. I will primarily blush in a work situation, or if something surprises me - bumping into people, surprise visits etc. I can usually be quite confident in certain situations, however the blushing is really becoming too much for me now. My chest and neck will go very blotchy and my face will almost go purple. Obviously I have made myself think that it's probably worse than it is, but I don't know how to overcome this!

All I want to do is leave my administration job and do something in marketing or events, but I refuse to go to interviews at risk of blushing. It's even gone far enough for me to have mini panic attacks in work meetings where my whole body will tingle and I won't be able to speak. I believe it all comes down to the blushing.

Has anyone overcome this? I have tried beta blockers and xanax with no relief, and I don't really want to become dependent on drugs. I have also started subliminal messages but not sure if it has helped.

Let me know... thanks.

6 Replies 6

james1
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi TJ21,

That sounds very embarrassing and I imagine it just compounds the embarrassment while you're in the situation being watched!

I don't know. I think, like you say, the blushing might not be as bad as you feel it is, but hey, that doesn't stop it feeling bad right?

Do you mind if I ask if you are seeing a doctor of some sort about the social anxiety? I mean, there are many things people try to overcome anxiety so I'd love to hear if you've tried any non-medication techniques as well, and been supported by a counsellor or psychologist.

James

TJ21
Community Member

Hi James,

Thanks for your reply. I haven't seen anyone about the issues... I should probably take that step. I just need to know if anyone else has overcome this because I feel like it will never be fixed.

Thanks

sandycee
Community Member

Hey!

I faced this problem a lot through high school (only last year) and found it to be very debilitating. The most minor things would trigger me and I would just turn into a tomato. Sometimes I didn't even notice I was going red and someone would point it out and I just knew it made it so much worse. I would avoid social events and talking in some situations because I didn't want to sit there and blush over nothing and have everyone look at me and then have the additional anxiety of knowing how red and blotchy I looked because it'd sent me into a panic.

To be completely honest with you, from time to time I still blush for absolutely no reason at all but I've definitely improved on it when I never thought I could and when I thought it controlled me.
On some occasions where I get very anxious about blushing I put makeup on and the fact that I have it on reassures me no one will see even if I do blush and so I don't.

You've definitely got this, I know you feel trapped by it and like it's controlling you but I do truly think you will overcome this.
If I find myself in a situation where I don't have makeup on and l know Im likely to go red I just think about how all the people around me have insecurities just like me and they're all trying to hide them just like me. I think about how we're all flawed and that that's just a part of being human and whoever I feel intimidated by is just as insecure as me deep down.

Keep your head up! You'll make it through 🙂
It's definitely a problem that more people than you think, experience!

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
hello TJ, I'm sure all of us have had to suffer from this, blushing, giving yourself away for what reason or maybe no reason, but yourself some credit, it will eventually go away because you will learn to feel confident, but time wise, your experience will eventually stop it from happening, how long it does take I can't give you an answer. Geoff.

JaneS3
Community Member

Hi TJ21,

I have suffered from facial blushing for as long as I can remember, becoming particularly severe from my early-teens onwards, as well as hyperhidrosis since my mid-teens. This has contributed to severe anxiety and depression throughout my childhood and adult life that has affected all aspects of my life, including relationships, dropping out of uni and quitting jobs. For me, nothing was more important for my overall health than eliminating my blushing. Especially when years of CBT, therapy and anti-depressants.

I had ETS surgery done on just my T2 nerve. The sympathectomy is done keyhole, leaving two very small incisions just under your armpit. So far, my results with ETS have been great. Part of me wishes I had more of my sympathetic chain cut (T3/T4), as I still get a heart-rate rise in very anxiety-provoking situations, and sometimes a slight blush, but ultimately I’m very happy. It’s totally surreal to go from having severe blushing multiple times per day to just not having it at all. When I exercise now my face stays completely unflushed and sweat free. It’s amazing.

I had Miradry done for my armpit sweating as they say it is more effective than sympathectomy for sweating. My results from Miraday were great. It’s been an 80% reduction at least in sweating and the odour I get is very manageable.

All in all, if you suffer from facial blushing or sweating that severely impacts your social life, self-esteem and career then I recommend looking into these procedures. Some people find the compensatory sweating they get after their ETS surgery made them regret it, so it really depends on what you’re treating and how severe your issues are and I’ve been lucky to have had no major side effects. For myself personally, I wish I could go back in time and have had this done when I was 14 years old. But still, we learn a lot through our suffering and it shapes our values as a person.

I hope you are doing well, I can see this is an old post but thought I'd reach out anyway.

CalmCat
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Just read through this forum.

I never thought of blushing or going red as anxiety.

But after reading it, I totally agree.

I constantly go red, mostly when there is going to be known social interaction.