FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Chronic hyperventilating

Jas346
Community Member
How to ease chronic hyperventilating from constant stress
2 Replies 2

Sophie_M
Welcome to the forums, Jas346

We are so glad that you've taken a big step in reaching out here today. It sounds like things are quite stressful for you at the moment, and we're sorry to hear that you are suffering with chronic hyperventilating. Please know that you've come to safe, non-judgemental space to talk things through and our community is here to offer as much support, advice and conversation as you need.

If you feel it may be helpful, you are always welcome to get in touch with Kids Help Line. They are a confidential and anonymous, telephone and online counselling service specifically for young people aged 25 and under. We’d also welcome you to reach out to our Support Service, which is available 24/7 by phone on 1300 22 4636 or on Webchat 3pm-12am AEST on our website: www.beyondblue.org.au/getsupport.

We hope that you keep checking back in and let us know how you are going when you feel up to it. We're all here for you.

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Jas346..

Welcome to the forums..

Many years I hyperventilated to the point of my body twisting and freezing into a weird shape...I learned a valuable lesson to try to control my breathing..to slow it down...

2 years back it started happening again, luckily I was with friends who called the ambulance...The paramedic in the back with me..told me to hold my hand out with open fingers..with my other hand, take any finger and slowly trace over the held out hand breathing up, when my finger was tracing up..then down when my finger was going down..counting to 5 very slowly on the way up and down....

I now use this method when I am having either an anxiety or panic attack....Because hyperventilating is breathing way way to quickly we need to slow it down as quick as we can...

Other ways is to put on and listen to a guided meditation with a body scan....something to take your mind away from what’s happening to you...mindfulness is another great way to slow our breathing...Grounding yourself...we have both these threads on here if you search in the search bar top right of this page...”Mindfulness what is it”....or “Grounding Yourself” ....they will pop up for you...and I hope they can be beneficial to you and help you some...

Sending my care, love and hugs..🦋💜🤗..

Grandy...