FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Binge eating disorder

Guest5643
Community Member

Ive always been a comfort eater for as long as i can remember but didn't realise alot of what i do is binge eating until a few months ago. Today after reading the dsm5 diagnosis criteria thing it comfirmed i have binge eating disorder. I'm secretly ashamed and embarrased to have this. I'm struggling with the term disorder with it cause it makes me feel like it's something people can never get control of. I would love to know peoples experiences with it.

Lynne

6 Replies 6

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, welcome

Technically I have no experience with the actual disorder.

Do I over eat- yes. Am I over weight oh yes. Have I dieted a lot over my 63 years- you bet. Has any diet been successful - a few. Will I ever give up on being over weight- never!

So that is the extent of my knowledge- sorry.

What I'd like to ask is why you are embarrassed by the term "Binge Eating Disorder". Any disorder is in my opinion, a reflection of behavior or symptoms that are outside the parameters of "normal". This could include many things. Eg addictions like smoking, gambling, alcohol, medical conditions. Imagine how many people have "disorders". So disorders aren't uncommon, they are nothing to be ashamed of.

Do you believe your disorder is your fault? If so what could you have done to prevent it developing?

As for control of a disorder, many disorders can never be fully controlled. However with determination we can get a slight grip on them so we end up closer to the accepted level in society with the spin off with better health. Eg A high BMI level for someone can be reduced to a more acceptable level with a balanced diet and more exercise especially if such changes are regularly carried out.

So in summary, changes to be made in your life could be subtle but consistent, sensible but not obsessive. All these things are better addressed by your GP where he/she will certainly make sure a proper diagnosis by a professional is carried out which is, the very first step to be taken. We can use the www for information and a guide but it can never replace a correct diagnosis.

I hope that helps. You have been brave to post here. Repost anytime

TonyWK

Quercus
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Lynne,

Binge eating disorder is one of the multiple diagnoses my psychiatrist gave me. I was told the stimulant medication I take had recently been approved for this disorder (unfortunately it doesn't help with my eating, just the ADHD).

I don't think feeling ashamed is unusual. I feel ashamed of what I do anyway.

One thing I remind myself of when I feel particularly crap is that for me binge eating is a coping mechanism. An unhealthy one but one I haven't yet been able to find a way to replace.

It is also something ingrained since childhood. So is the shame. As a kid I knew you had to hide the evidence. If you were found out it meant another extreme diet and all sweets cut off. This is really difficult to change when it has been a lifelong habit.

Other addictions seem to be accepted as 'valid' but when your addiction is food people aren't so understanding I've found. Many people I've spoken to see it as being weak willed or too lazy to care for my health. My husband cannot understand why I do it and sometimes gets angry that I'm setting a bad example for our kids.

For me the diagnosis finally helped me make sense of why this is so hard to control. I try and fail over and over. Before the diagnosis I thought I WAS weak willed.

I hope you have better success managing BED.

Nat

romantic_thi3f
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Lynne,

Thanks for your post. I want you to know that it's totally okay to feel ashamed and embarrassed with BED. It's one of those few disorders with so much stigma behind it and so much misunderstanding, even though it's just as valid as any other disorder or condition.

I too struggle with binge eating, but I've never discussed a diagnosis. Certainly though a diagnosis can't just be made by reading the DSM 5 though - the DSM is only one tiny tiny part of assessment, so feeling like you meet the criteria doesn't mean you have the disorder.

With all that said though, people can get control over it - in the same way that we can get control over anything in the DSM or any sort of disorder. Maybe you feel like your symptoms are sky high right now, but they don't always have to be. In the same way I have depression, I won't ever be rid of it, but sometimes my symptoms aren't always sky high so I won't always notice it. You can probably get to that stage too.

Hope this helps

Hi Romantic, Nat, Tony.

I,ve done heaps of research over this and the dsm5 was just the last piece of the puzzle. Sorry i should of explained different, Just to clarify I am never embarrassed or ashamed to have a mental illness or disorder of anykind and noone ever should. But if it makes sense im embarrassed ashamed in a different way that only binge eaters would understand that is hard to explain. Your right nat having a diagnosis will be a good thing as it should help me understand it better to try cope better. Sorry brief reply dog whining on lead.

Lynne

Hi Lynne,

I just wanted to share my experience with food. I don't think I can ever control a disorder but I do believe that I can have increasing control over my responses/ behaviour. These days a really intense craving for food is a warning sign that something in my life is out of control emotionally. For me binge eating is an old friend that helps me cope with life. But sadly it also makes me feel groggy and lethargic in my body, for at least 24 hours, and also has a sense of shame that isolates me from people. For me the shame is because the eating is secretive and I eat quickly - where as usually I'm more mindful to stop and savour my food. So the eating is done with guilt and quickly stuffing it in so to speak.

The trade off is that I get numbed - the more I eat the number I feel - I guess that literally my bloodflow goes to the stomach to try to cope with all this incoming food and I go into a sort of food coma. But then I have a food hangover that lasts a good 24 hours, and after over eating the craving to overeat again intensifies. Other times I can just eat a little more in the day to help cope with anxiety. And other times I don't use food at all to cope - I sit and journal and breathe through my distress. So my view is that it is always in a state of flux depending how I respond on any given day. I try to find a balance between forgiving myself for slipping up and also making sure I address the things that are causing me stress and trying to use journalling/ being still/ exercise or other more body-positive ways to cope. A positive is that I've maintained a healthy weight for for about seven years now, instead of the yo yo I used to go on between periods of over eating and then over exercising.

As to the diagnosis - I think this can be very empowering for some people initially. Be careful you don't limit yourself with it though - because one can find ways to cope with the difficulties and stresses in life without resorting to food and binge eating.

Hi Hope4joy.

You summed it up perfectly. I was struggling to find the right words but you've written excatly how i feel. Im so happy you've gained some control im realy proud of you👍.

I never used to understand alcholholics or any sort of addiction thinking they choose to do what they do. But the day it finaly twigged oh my food is an addiction was the day i stopped judging and understood. My food is my only vice luckily.

Lynne