Anxiety

Anxiety is the most common mental health condition in Australia. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with anxiety.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Chris_B Forums etiquette: give support to receive support
  • replies: 0

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newb... View more

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newbies are welcomed when they first post, and we understand that it’s a big step to post for the first time on a forum like this, especially if you aren’t feeling great. It’s important to remember, though, that these forums are a community of real people, just like you, not a one-on-one support environment like going to see your psychologist. To get the best out of being here, one of the best tips we can offer is give support to receive support. Being a good community member means: participating in different threads (not just your own), replying to people who have taken the time to reply to you (even if it’s just to say thank you), and... posting words of emotional support and encouragement when you see others who are hurting and reaching out. You don’t have to feel obliged to solve the problems of others: that’s not what we’re here for. But you can offer empathy and what you’ve learned from your own life experiences, even if it’s just a line or two, eg. “I don't know what to say, but I want to give you my support and tell you I care about what is happening to you and hope life will get better soon.” Try to develop an interest in the journeys of others here on the forums. You may be surprised at how good being an active, caring member here can make you feel. For those of you who have had good experiences giving support here on the forums, please post in this thread here and let us know how it has helped you on your journey.

All discussions

vader1 Nursing and anxiety
  • replies: 5

Hi, This is my first time ever posting on an online forum and would like to talk with anyone who is experiencing anxiety. I find that my anxiety is getting in the way of my work life and normal day to day tasks. I find I am in a constant state of anx... View more

Hi, This is my first time ever posting on an online forum and would like to talk with anyone who is experiencing anxiety. I find that my anxiety is getting in the way of my work life and normal day to day tasks. I find I am in a constant state of anxiety. I have recently started in a newly graduated nurse in an ED department. I have worked in this kind of environment before, however I have found that my anxiety levels have increased greatly. I find its impacting on my practice. I find that I am vomiting before work and cant keep anything down. I have talked with my supervisors about my anxiety , as they noticed I appeared anxious. They talked about looking for ways to lessen my anxiety and ways to settle me into my new role as an ED Nurse. However they feel that my anxiety could impact on my skills in the future.... which i think they are concerned about. I have been considering asking for a different rotation, where I can take my time undertaking tasks and work with my anxiety. I just dont know what I should do as i spent a lot of my time at university focusing on emergency nursing. Has anyone had a similar experience.

erinrosee New Job Anxiety
  • replies: 1

Hi, This is my first time posting on here, but I really need someone to talk to. I've just accepted a temp position for a 3 month project. I'm quite anxious about going in because it's a new situation and those always make me worry. I often get like ... View more

Hi, This is my first time posting on here, but I really need someone to talk to. I've just accepted a temp position for a 3 month project. I'm quite anxious about going in because it's a new situation and those always make me worry. I often get like this before a new job, and although I know these feelings are normal, it still sucks. I worry that because I have these thoughts every time I get a new job that I'm not cut out to be in the workforce, and that I won't enjoy myself. I am also quite anxious because I don't know what to expect. I also worry that I won't have any time to myself, or to spend with my partner and friends. I get anxious when I'm not in control of how I spend my time and my mind goes into overdrive. If anyone has any advice on how to deal with these feelings, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

Pebbles08 Looking for people who understand
  • replies: 6

Hey all.. I never thought I'd be looking for help on an online forum but hey, here I am.. over the last year or so I've developed pretty intense anxiety. I can't pin point exactly where or why it started, but I did have a few significant events happe... View more

Hey all.. I never thought I'd be looking for help on an online forum but hey, here I am.. over the last year or so I've developed pretty intense anxiety. I can't pin point exactly where or why it started, but I did have a few significant events happen which I'm thinking helped in the process. I freak out at things that "normal" people wouldn't give two thoughts about, I can find the flaw in everything and relate it back to myself, I make clinusions that bad things that happen or negative situations are a result of something that I've done and I absolutely cannot stand being alone. I feel like my mind is so cluttered but I don't even know what it is I think about, I feel trapped in my own head. ive seen my doctor and he's put me on mdiecation but I'm just struggling to find someone to talk to that understands. My partner tries but it frustrates him because he doesn't know what it's like. Does anyone else feel this way?

nessie_lou Anxiety...help
  • replies: 4

Hi Guys, I've never posted before but am here now because i am in the thick of what I call an episode. I had major anxiety on tuesday and it hasnt stopped since...the joy of 4am wake ups with anxiety. A little back ground. I had my first anxious epis... View more

Hi Guys, I've never posted before but am here now because i am in the thick of what I call an episode. I had major anxiety on tuesday and it hasnt stopped since...the joy of 4am wake ups with anxiety. A little back ground. I had my first anxious episode when I was 21 and it lasted 2 weeks, of which time I cried, shook, couldnt eat or sleep properly, had the upset stomach etc....my parents took me to the doc so many times that week to then finally be told I had GAD and was put on medication. Fast forward 18 years and whilst it is usually well managed with medication etc I find myself just as baffled as i was back then. As in when I feel anxious I get asked what are you thinking about...my answer generally is nothing. Its the racing heart, the sweating, the shaking, the nausea and diarrhoea, the restlessness, the not wanting to be left alone, the racing weird dream like thoughts I get when I am trying to rest. I have spent so much time and money on psychologists and am currently doing CBT and mindfulness but I truly dont know how to change the way I think because I dont actually know what I am thinking about. Yes there are times when there are triggers; death, health and overthinking past events but more often than not it just jumps out of no where and smacks me in the face. Does anyone get this? I hope this episode doesnt last too long...i miss laughing and feeling normal.

Meg789 Anxiety strikes
  • replies: 2

Hello, This is my first post on any forums. I have been suffering from anxiety and depression for some years now. My anxiety has been getting worse lately. I don't want to leave the house, unless it's for work. When I'm around people, I think everyon... View more

Hello, This is my first post on any forums. I have been suffering from anxiety and depression for some years now. My anxiety has been getting worse lately. I don't want to leave the house, unless it's for work. When I'm around people, I think everyone is judging me - thinking they don't like me. Feeling like I'm not good enough for anyone. I'm even anxious about writing this, that people will judge etc. I know my thoughts are unrealistic but there is always that doubt which stops me from moving forward.

chrisy225 New Job Anxiety
  • replies: 2

Every time i get a new job, i am fine for the interview portion it and when i start my first day the anxiety kicks in. I can't sleep, my heart starts to pound, my appetite is gone and when i do eat i start to feel sick and nauseas. The longest time i... View more

Every time i get a new job, i am fine for the interview portion it and when i start my first day the anxiety kicks in. I can't sleep, my heart starts to pound, my appetite is gone and when i do eat i start to feel sick and nauseas. The longest time i've been able to hold a job was 3 months i was starting to like that job but due to unforeseen circumstances we all got let go. I recently gotten accepted for a new job. It was my first day of training the other day (4 hours) and i didn't expect the job to be so demanding. When applying for the job the ad said Receptionist, so knowing i already had basic knowledge of being one i would apply for it. On the first day of training i found out that our role was being a receptionist, office duties and help with physio clients (machines and doing beds etc.) I was quickly becoming overwhelmed and anxiety started to quickly set in as the boss is quickly annoyed if you don't get things right quickly. Trying to learn everything at once was getting to my head, time felt so slow and my memory felt like it didn't exist at all. I pushed through the 4 hours and went home and just broke down crying. For the next two day i didn't have training and all i could feel was my heart beating fast and my appetite was none existence. I didn't want to get out of bed, all i want to do is sleep and stay home. I have another 3 hour training session tomorrow and all i've been thinking if i should tell my new employer that all this is giving me anxiety or i should just quit and try to find another job less demanding. Everyone i talk to seems to not understand what i am feeling. So i thought i would post on here in hopes that someone understands me. Everyone i have told just try and encourage me i can do it and i commend them for that but in my head it feels like it doesn't help. Maybe it is my state of mind. Does anyone have any tips?

Jackson1994 First time seeing a psych

Tomorrow is my first appointment seeing a psychologist at Headspace.im so scared

Tomorrow is my first appointment seeing a psychologist at Headspace.im so scared

luft_ Forgetfulness and confusion - can this be caused by anxiety?
  • replies: 8

Hello to all, Recently I have been under a lot of stress at work and in life. I run my own business in a high-stress industry where many egos exist, as well as endless deadlines and navigating endless politics with high profile people. I always thoug... View more

Hello to all, Recently I have been under a lot of stress at work and in life. I run my own business in a high-stress industry where many egos exist, as well as endless deadlines and navigating endless politics with high profile people. I always thought I would enjoy this sort of work, but after several years I am really beginning to dislike it. Lately I have noticed that I haven't been able to remember many things - deadlines at work, emails I have had to write, phone calls I have needed to return. I even lost $2000 worth of dry cleaning somehow. My partner has been noticing my forgetfulness too - I can't seem to remember to perform basic tasks at home, I have even been forgetting to pay the rent and electricity bill. Life seems like a series of deadlines and never-ending lists for me at the moment - but perhaps that is what life is and I haven't developed a resilience and discipline for it? Maybe that's the whole problem? Maybe I need to get a grip? I do have ADHD but I have not taken treatment since childhood, as it isn't particularly bad, but now I am beginning to think it may be a problem. I've also become particularly short with people lately, and have gone as far as being horrible, verbally abusive and nasty to those closest to me. I am not a big drinker but in the past two weeks I have gotten drunk to the point of saying the nastiest things (which I don't mean) to my partner. Unforgivable things. This was right after he had taken me on holidays for my birthday too. He didn't deserve any of it and I am ashamed of my behaviour. Two days before Christmas 2016, my grandmother passed away. She had essentially raised me as a child more than my mother had, and seeing her deteriorate - her body riddled with cancer - over a period of 6 months was deeply distressing. She died right before Christmas, and rather than being able to mourn at home, in bed, alone for a week, I was thrust into all the activities that come with Christmas and NY - including in-laws who were visiting from overseas, seeing extended friends and family, parties etc. I had time off but I feel like I didn't ever get time to process it. Perhaps on a whim, a month later I resigned from my job as I had received an offer elsewhere - which has turned out to be the wrong move too. I don't really know what to do - I am finding everything in my life too hard, I'm procrastinating, forgetting everything and can't seem to get a hold of anything and it's terrifying.

Jambo123 Dreading work
  • replies: 9

Hi... Just joined tonight and reading some other posts has gave me the confidence to get this off my chest. I had a workplace injury about a year ago which resulted in an operation and light duties for a long period of time. I was treated well and do... View more

Hi... Just joined tonight and reading some other posts has gave me the confidence to get this off my chest. I had a workplace injury about a year ago which resulted in an operation and light duties for a long period of time. I was treated well and done everything asked of me to the best of my capabilities. In the last month or so i have been back on full duties but hv felt a change in attitude from certain parties. During my light duties i was privy to a few instances where a certain manager lost his temper and verbally abused an employee. I felt uncomfortable and anxious being in earshot of this. Since back on full duties (.about a month) i hv been taken in to this managers office 3 times for differing reasons. He was belittling in his manner and has shattered my self esteem... I hv been moved to a lesser position and feel his eyes are on me constantly. I am not good with confrontation and am getting knots in my stomach.. Struggling to switch off my brain at nights afinding it increasingly difficult to drag myself from bed for my shifts. I hv called the employee assistance programme and have had one consultation... I hv also spoke to my gp and had a few days off recently when it all felt too much. I want to quit and find a job i can enjoy again but to compound matters i hv lost my license atm so i am stuck until i get my license back. It just feels totally hopeless and it is draining the life out of me.

KatBX Stark Raving GAD...!

Hi everyone. I'm posting here for the first time to see if anyone has helpful hints for my anxiety? I have been a self-employed contractor for 25 years. Its taken a long time to build up my network, but I have been relatively successful and fed and c... View more

Hi everyone. I'm posting here for the first time to see if anyone has helpful hints for my anxiety? I have been a self-employed contractor for 25 years. Its taken a long time to build up my network, but I have been relatively successful and fed and clothed myself. Many times it as been a struggle, almost virtually living hand to mouth. Not being able to relax and enjoy my life much of the time as I am too worried about where the next job will come from. As a result my relationships have been disastrous, I've never married or had kids as I would have liked too. I've had to travel away for work, which have been fabulous opportunities, but I have lost a two boyfriends as they felt rejected. I've just been trying to support myself. I had to go where the work was. I just don't want to end up on the street. I'm finding it hard to focus on anything and being proactive and I'm constantly haunted by the image of a Zero bank balance. The anxiety has got so bad that I just don't enjoy the process of doing my work anymore. I race through and make mistakes and just don't have the attention to detail that I used to have. It feels like performance anxiety. Heart palpitations, shaky hands, sweats. I think I'm crap, I'm a fraud, no-one likes working with me, my clients are judging me. Its affecting the quality of my work and my care-factor. I have lost confidence in myself. I have have been on antidepressants in the past, but after a few months I just don't feel or care about anything. When I'm not working its either not leaving my room or writing enormous 'to-do' lists to fool myself into being proactive, but then I just get over-whelmed and end up doing bugger all. I've been told I should perhaps look into some other line of work. But I just don't know what I could do? I don't have any other skills. And the idea of having to re-train is just so overwhelming. I don't have enough savings to take time off to do so. The stress of having to 'sell myself' to get work is just too much. Its hard to spruik something you don't believe in. Some of my lack of motivation, I'm sure, is a resentment about my industry as I feel that its not let me have fulfilling life, because of how much stress and anxiety it causes me. I don't want to be alone forever. I just want some sort of job security. But I'm a fool thinking that being a freelancer. Thanks in advance if you have any good ideas to help me see all this in from a better perspective.... K