FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Asbestos roof anxiety - HELP

Chorlton12
Community Member

Hi everyone

Ive been subletting a property in WA for 6 months not realising the roof was asbestos. I am now constantly researching asbestos roofs and worried that I've done damage to my health. I know I shouldn't worry about the future but I'm scared Ive already done the damage.

I can't believe it's not illegal to have had these roofs removed. I'm so upset with myself, Ive been living here for 6 months and Perth has had a very wet and windy winter. I feel my life is ruined

I don't know how to go on, please help with this anxiety.

4 Replies 4

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, welcome

It is commonly known that asbestos is harmless in houses unless being removed or disturbed. In both cases strict protection must be worn and material disposed of under regulations.

Until then its perfectly safe and that is why it hasnt been removed from many houses even some owned by the housing commission.

If I was in your situation I would relax and not worry about it. Sometimes worry is worse than the thing you are concerned about.

https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/anxiety/worry-worry-worry

TonyWK

Guest_7403
Community Member

Asbestos in homes and buildings is alot more common than you think.

As white knight has stated....unless you're sanding it, breaking it into small fibres there is no risk.

Its also overstated with its effects, it caused issues for people exposed to those airborne fibres who worked with it day in/day out.

I understand your anxiety but you are safe and not at risk.

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Dear Chorlton,

Like TonyWK and Guest_7403, I would like to reassure you that you are safe living with an asbestos roof...

My home was build in the early 1960’s...for workers that were building a Dam, near were I live...In the village I live in all the houses being ex government houses were built using asbestos....I have been living here 6 years now, and will continue to live here until I’m unable to care for myself....other have been living here for over 60 years....

Asbestos is safe if it’s not sanded, sawed, drilled etc...

I hope we have eased your anxiety a bit...

I think if asbestos houses that are still being lived in was at all detrimental to anyone’s health...The government would tear down all these houses...

Kind thoughts Dear Chorlton,

Grandy..

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Chorlton, thanks for your comment and can I agree with those above me as I live in an area where most houses had asbestos, mostly on the roofs of houses that are slowly disappearing and being replaced with iron or colourbond.

It won't create any problem unless it's disturbed and if you've had a wet period then again there is no harm and remember not everyone who smokes will develop emphysema and known people who used to work at SEC and used to roll balls of asbestos up and throw it at each other.

The more you research this, the more agitated you may become, contact a company that deals in the removal of it and if you want to ask your doctor for Xrays twice a year or if the area where you bought the house worries you, then sell it and buy somewhere else.

Geoff.