FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Read this it helps

Justin95
Community Member
These past few months I rarely go out only if I have blood tests and seeing my psychologist. I am suffering from maybe severe anxiety. The main trigger for me is when someone sniffs and coughs I take it maybe they don’t acknowledge me and think I’m belowthem. What goes in my mind is when I go outside and hear people do this I get panic attacks and I have a dreadful feeling I have to get out of there. I used to get bullied a lot by my uncle who always coughs and sometimes hits me, I’m no longer in contact with him but whenever I hear people cough it reminds me of my Uncle. I don’t understand what’s wrong with me. I see other people who hears cough and feel as if they did not hear anything. I want to be normal again. It is very hard for me to bare when I hear all types of people that do this. Please be respectful with your answers.
5 Replies 5

Sophie_M
Hi Justin95, 

We are really sorry to hear about how you are feeling and how your anxiety is heightened by coughing and other health related triggers. It sounds like there is a difficult history around this kind of behaviour for you, we are so glad you have  been able to share your story with us today. 

If you ever want to talk to someone, please know that we are always here for you if you need on 1300 22 4636.

Thank you for being a part of this community and for sharing your story. Please feel free to update us on how you are going, or join other conversations that you might find interesting. 

Kind regards, 
Sophie M

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Justin95,

Im really sorry you are feeling this way, I understand anxiety can be difficult to deal with.

I also suffered with severe anxiety OCD it was a very difficult condition to go through I have now recovered thanks to the professional help I received.

Can I ask if you have been diagnosed with anything?

Im sorry your Uncle hit you that must have been very difficult to deal with.

Im glad you are seeing a psychologist have they been able to help you?

Hang in there

Justin95
Community Member
I have not been diagnosed with anything. I’m seeing my psychologist once a month but not seems to be helping. She only encourages me that I can do it.

I’m sorry that your phycologist doesn’t seem to be helping you have they given you any strategies for anxiety?

I saw a clinical psychologist and a psychiatrist a clinical psychologist can diagnose a normal psychologist can’t.

Blhaj
Community Member

Hi Justin,

I'm sorry your uncle treated you like that. No one deserves to go through something like that.

Other people don't react to coughs because they didn't form the same associations to it that you did. It's not that there's anything wrong with you. It's that you were treated badly.

With that being said when others are coughing and sniffling they're not doing so with bad intentions. The anxiety you get is completely valid but strangers also aren't aware that that's how you feel.

I hope you feel better soon. Make sure to be kind to yourself.