FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anxious from work. Possibly in unsuitable job role?

upwardcoast
Community Member
Been feeling anxious for a couple of months now. Started to affect my work performance and losing focus at work as well. Everytime I leave the office, the work follows me. Either via a phone call, or just me generally be thinking about what will go wrong at work.

I am in the construction industry, so naturally it is a very high stressful working environment. In my first year working in this industry, it was actually quite fun and not all stressful or anxious about it. Since my promotion to it, the feeling of anxiousness and stress amplifies. Again, which i expected. However now it is taken to the extreme, i am not sure what caused it, but i am unable to relax or wind down after work at home no longer. Eating or playing my video games does not seem to distract me anymore.

My GP do prescribed me a tricyclis antidepressant to help me to go to sleep which i have problem with too. I have yet to take any of it as I am afraid that it will makes me sleep past my alarm at 6am.

What are your suggestions to reduce my anxiousness from work and able to enjoy my free time after work.
3 Replies 3

CoraC
Community Member

Hi upwardcoast

work anxiety is the pits! I'm sure many readers,including me, can relate.

so, did this stress mainly come about after you were promoted into another role? Does your organisation have an EAP service you can use? (Employee assistance program). Look into it. They normally offer a certain number of confidential sessions with a counsellor.

over time, I've tried to develop strategies to stop worrying and spending long hours at work. I try to think in my mind that I'm going to finish work about 30 min before my actual finish time. That way I get the important things done early and have spare time to check them as I've still got time up my sleeve.

do you have regular meetings with your manager? That can help to build confidence to know you're on the right track. If you've got a good Manager of course 🙂

Hi CoraC,

Yes - this new role is the primary cause of the anxiety. We do not have an EAP or counseling session per se. Mainly because we are such in a high paced work environment. Every hour counts sorta thing. The industry is built in such a way, which I understand.

Used to carve out an hour or so to track back with what I've missed in the day and revert back, but now there is so little time to do a lot of things.

We are not massive of a company, this is one of our downfall in my opinion. We do require more manpower in a sense, but it is really not my call or a good suggestion to bring up

SoFedUp
Community Member

Hi Upwardcoast.

Im sorry to hear how much your life has been affected by your promotion.

I know it may not be a practical option but I am a great believer in walking to calm your mind. If you have time after work. Fresh air and things to distract you can really help. It may help your sleep too.

All the best.