FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anxiety linked to Epilepsy.

Axete
Community Member
I'm 29 years old and have recently been diagnosed with epilepsy. 

My first lot of seizures were nocturnal and only happened during my sleep. I had restricted driving instructions to only drive during certain day time hours and to keep well rested. I was.seizure free for 6 months before having my first day seizure last week with only my 1yo niece and 7yo daughter with me. Lucky I was at home, but I can't forget how scared my daughter was or becoming conscience and having paramedics standing over me. She should never of had to deal with that, to call 000 and care for her crying 1yo cousin. I'm so scared of putting her through that again. I also fear having a seizure at the shops, or on the train. I'm too scared to go anywhere alone with the kids. 

And on top of that, I've lost my license so feel a loss of independence and I can no longer take my kids to their gymnastics or swimming classes. I feel like I'm letting them down. My 7yo says she understands, but it hurts her and there isn't anything I can do.  The sports centres aren't accessible by public transport.

My husband is a big help....when he's Home. He works away for a few weeks at a time. He is looking for a local job, but until then he has to work.

I'm hoping someone here can give some advice on helping me deal with my fear of having seizures. Thankyou.

3 Replies 3

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

dear Axete, I understand exactly how you feel, as I have general tonic seizures, which are the worst, and from what you have described you may have the same.

I can feel so much for your daughter and niece, because watching a seizure this bad must be so frightening not only for them, but anyone else.

I used to fall through windows and glass tables until my doctor changed and increased my medication, and as I am a big chap with big bones I am now on a heavy dosage of anti epileptic medication.

Did this just happen or is it in the family genes, as mine was from an assault, hit from behind by a couple of bikies.

If you are not medicated properly you never know when you may have a seizure, and if you do have general tonic fits, then you won't know where you are, or even the year when you wake up, and it also makes you so tired.

A blood test will be able to tell the doctor if the medication is at the right level, however I do realise that some people still have fits even when medicated, so I am very curious to hear back from you.

If you are medicated and still having fits then the doctor can change the medication, but head-aches and dizziness can also be a problem, which I suffer from both.

Hope you can reply back to us. L Geoff. x

Elephant86
Community Member

hi anette

I also suffer with Grand mal epilepsy and bipolar and I suffer like you with seizures. I also can't drive due to my epilepsy. I have a great exercise plan and I eat right and take medication. You must not be afraid it will be oright it took a long time for me to come to peace of my condition but I finally accepted my condition. I know it seems like an impossible journey to face but I know you can over come adversity with the support of your family.

Have a wonderful day!!! 

Elephant86
Community Member

Good morning 

I wanted to say I totally empathise with you because I was diagnoed with epilepsy at 11 years of age and I totally understand the fear. I say why have fear when you have hope and not to worry with the right medication and advice you can live a normal life . I will share with you that I can never get my licence due to my epilepsy but that doesn't stop me I focus on the gifts I have been given and what I can do not on what I can't do.

You must build a positive mind set and self talk and say to yourself I am going to walk up this mountain with the support of my community. When I had my first seizure I was 11 and there is great fear but you have to beleive in yourself and try to remaain positive. The things that help me are cycling, meditation, reading, healthy diet and most importantly medication

We don't choose our condition but we choose how we face our adversity. Always remember your inner strength and power and resilance you have. I totally understand your path and I have hope that you will be oright just try and find the right medical supports in place.

You must do activities that help and bring you peace and calm.

Remember you are surrounded by love and people who want to take care of you and support you so never fear because the beyond blue community is here to guide and support you

Hope and love are always more powerful than fear and I beleive in you that you will be able to face this difficulty and overcome it.

Look to the support of family and friends and the wider community for love and support and I promise you will be fine.