FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anxiety induced insomnia

Andy1998
Community Member

Hi, all,

I'm a first year university biomed student. I have to spend hours studying and memorizing stuff everyday and it has imposed a lot of stress on me. But I always had everything under control, I balanced life/study just fine. I got great marks for my subjects and I was actually enjoying the pressure to a degree. It all changed a week ago.

I think it all started because of a stupid video game I played last Sunday, it was kinda scary for me and I had some trouble falling asleep that night (took me about 1 hour). I didn't think about it too much on Monday, cause I've had some bad nights like that one before and I thought it was nothing more than just another tough night.

And then, on Monday, I made the mistake of playing that video game again, after I finished work. Like I said, I really didn't think too much about the bad night before. Only now have I realized the night on Sunday was a warning sign for me. But it was too late, I played that game again, and I couldn't fall asleep the entire Monday night, I might drifted off for an hour or so but that was about it.

I haven't played that game ever since, but I got so worried about not being able to fall asleep and cope with uni, that I got very anxious about sleeping from night 3. Initially the anxiety was from the video game, but starting from night 3, I think it had completely shifted to the fear of not being able to sleep.From night 3, I haven't been able to fall asleep within 2-3 hours of going to bed and had 2 more nights where I didn't fall asleep at all. 2 hours before going to bed, I could already feel my heart pumping fast, fearing I wouldn't be able to fall asleep again, and this fear always made that a reality. My heart would continue to beat fast on the bed, and I tried deep breathing, it didn't really help, my heart would slow down for a few seconds but then the anxiety would be back all over again. I tried telling myself: "Everything is fine." "Many people are having similar troubles, you ain't alone.", but I still couldn't stop worrying. I tried going downstairs to eat something, or to do something else before going back to bed, not much help either. I tried going out and jogging until I was physically exhausted, it helped slightly, but not much and I really don't want to do that every night. I've always been an anxious person but it had never been this severe. I guess the first 2 nights brought out my anxiety from uni&life deep within and now I can't stop the flood.

5 Replies 5

I went to see a GP yesterday and he couldn’t really help. He gave me a referral for a psychologist, but he doesn’t have any free appointments available in the next three weeks. Considering how hard it was to pull through last week, I honestly can’t mentally or physically wait three weeks. So if anyone could help me, please, please let me know. Thank you.

hello and welcome

before bed maybe you could try some relaxation exercises like mediatation and or some deep breathing exercises? i am not a very good sleeper at all but i find having some down time and a relaxation exercise before bed can help me. it might not work straight away so dont give up hope on the first 2 or 3 nights, it took me a week to be able to relax enough to sleep.

If you are up to 25 then you are welcome to use Headspace as well, they offer free counselling sessions online and also have study support as well for free. they are a great service and would reccomend them.

i dont go to uni but im pretty sure most if not all unis offer free counselling support as well. so it might be worth enquiring to them about it as well.

Hello Andy1998

Thankyou for posting with us and welcome

You have a ton on your plate with University and the study you have to dedicate for your degree

Whether its a mobile phone.tablet...PC... a PS4..XBox game or a HD movie....our brain is working hard (too hard) processing the activity prior to sleep. In a nutshell we are going to bed over stimulated and 'wired'

Being 'gentle' with our brain at least 1 hour before bed (2 hours is better) can provide us with a quality sleep

Even as a volunteer on the forums....I avoid cell phones....ipads....or even an action/thriller movie before bed as I used to have the same poor sleep as you do.

The anxiety will reduce when we have a slower routine before bed. You are a legend for doing what you have to with Uni. That on its own is hard work.

You are a smart proactive person Andy. The less mentally active we are before bed the better quality our sleep

I have a PS4 and if I play Infinite Warfare or any Call of Duty game in the evening I will be climbing the walls

Great to have you on the forums Andy.....There is no judgement here...just the best support we can provide 🙂

Any questions are welcome! (good on you for studying Biomed!)

my best

Paul

WendyRose
Community Member
Hi Andy. Sorry to hear you are experiencing this. I have suffered with anxiety induced insomnia for most of my life and have found that hypnosis audios seriously helped me to focus on something positive, forcing me to take my mind away from my fears long enough to sleep peacefully. I still use these and they do assist me in my daily growth. I also used it to pass my HSC and then to assist me in my degree a few years ago. I still use the things I learned in my daily life.

Midnightsailor
Community Member
Hi Andy - have you tried ASMR videos by any chance? I know they go against the grain of not looking at screens an hour or so before bed but they work for me and get my mind far away from my problems and anxiety triggers. Try gibi ASMR or goodnight moon on YouTube and see what you think. The headspace app also works for me as a guided meditation program. Wishing you all the best