FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anxiety from illness??

Mccloud
Community Member

Hi guys, I've been diagnosed with Vestibular migraine roughly 2 years ago, I havnt been able to work for last 2 years due to illness. I've had alot of dizziness, vertigo, blurred vision, migraines, ringing in ears etc etc.. I've been on medication for this illness but I feel my anxiety is through the roof. I find myself very nervous and stressing alot about my illness even on days I feel ok. I know find it very hard to do normal day to day stuff. I hardly leave the house as I'm too scared these symptoms will come back, I constantly talk myself out of doing family things and some days even down to the shops or for a drive. Just wandering if anyone has a similar problem and or feedback on what to do, weather I need medication for anxiety. Just not sure where to start?? TIA 

2 Replies 2

jaz28
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Mccloud,

I am sorry you have been diagnosed with this condition, that must be incredibly hard! I do not have this migraine condition, but I do have an autoimmune condition - so I know how it feels to be constantly impacted by your health in one way or another. Likewise, physical health problems can cause a lot of anxiety and mental health struggles because it is so exhausting having all those symptoms, and having the fear and almost certainty that symptoms MAY reoccur at any moment (yeah, it sucks). I have found it most beneficial to just live my life, especially on the good days, and relish in what i can do (if I get sick in the future so be it - BUT the present is NOW). 

Another option would be to see a health psychologist or your doctor, they might be able to point in the right direction of whether you need medication (see your GP), or therapy.

I hope things improve soon

Jaz xx

therising
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Mccloud

Wondering whether you fear the migraines or fear the pain and stomach churning side effects that comes with them. I class myself as lucky compared to my 20yo daughter. While the ones I used to get came with no pain or stomach churning side effects (more so stroke like symptoms), my daughter would be sick in bed in excruciating pain when she'd get them. She began to fear going out of the house. It's extremely rare she gets one these days.

One of the ways people manage the fear is by letting a lot of key people know about the migraines. For example, the people they work with, friends, family members etc. This way there's almost always someone around who can help manage when one starts. My daughter's friends would manage by having my phone number. They'd call me at the onset and I'd come and get her no matter where she was. They'd know about the warning signs as well. One of those was her losing her vision completely. So they'd know to be her eyes for her while she couldn't see, guiding her to an area away from a lot of people while reassuring her I was on my way. Good and effective support is definitely key in helping manage the anxiety.

After my daughter's last migraine, which was a few months back (which her boyfriend helped her manage), I just couldn't settle for the old 'A lot of the times there's just no rhyme or reason for why they happen'. I began to do a heck of a lot of research in the hope I'd find something that would stop her suffering. I think, to look for answers/reasons can be another way of managing. I suppose it's about taking the bull by the horns as opposed to sitting back in dread, waiting for the next one. Came across a lot of interesting stuff. Just to name a couple, 'Can vegus nerve problems cause headaches and migraines?' and 'Brain energy deficits linked to migraine susceptibility'. That 2nd one was surprising, as it points to migraines as being part of corrective process in relation of a build up of oxidative stress. In other words, a migraine is the feeling of the brain correcting itself. If this latest research does point to a typical cause, then researching how to manage oxidative stress might be one way to go. A diet high in anti oxidants and the alleviation of stress causing oxidative stress through meditation or perhaps yoga are just a couple of the many avenues.