FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Announcement Icon
You can win one of three $200 gift cards. Complete our survey by 5pm, 30 June 2024 AEST to enter the draw. Your response will be anonymous so you can't be identified.

Anxiety chest pain no panic attack

Ausernsme
Community Member
Hi

So I was wondering if anxiety can cause chest pain without having had a panic attack?

5 years ago I used to have chest pain and always be anxious about my health. I had my heart checked everything was normal and I was diagnosed with anxiety. I took an SSRI for 4 years and then stopped last year. For the last 3 months I've been getting chest pain and my anxiety has been getting worse. Just this week I've started to get facial twitches as well. Can anxiety cause chest pain though even though I'm not hyperventilating or having a panic attack.

The other thing is this chest pain I've been getting lately is located where my heart is while years ago when I would get chest pain during panic attacks it was located on the top left of my chest further away from the heart. I've had several ecg's this year which came normal but can't help but think maybe the problem just isn't happening when I'm having the ecg.

I'm only 26 years old and I have smoked but only for about 6 months 2 years ago.

Doctors always tell me it's unlikely to be anything wrong with my heart at my age. I'm not obese and blood tests and vitamins are good as well. I definitely over worry about my health but this chest pain in particular I just wonder if it can be cause by anxiety even though I'm not having a panic attack.

Also I know the chest pain isn't heart burn since I grew up with heart burn and it is a totally different feeling. This feels like a constant stabbing pain.
15 Replies 15

Dan90
Community Member

I get chest pains from time to time and I too worry about my heart on a frequent basis. I’m only 28.

Rarely do I get panic attacks with my chest pain, I do notice it appear when I am in a period of stress.

I have had a full heart checkup too, so I know mine is most likely just my anxiety.

Have you been under a lot of stress lately?

A few things that may help:

1. Are you breathing shallow when these occur? Sometimes this is a trigger for me.

2. Does the pain occur only whilst breathing deeply? Perhaps it’s a strained muscle from stress/exercise?

3. Take note of when the symptom occurs, does it happen all the time or go away when your distracted/relaxed? I find mine subsided when I am fully relaxed.

I find the more I focus on things the more feel them, so best to take your mind off things if you can and do something you enjoy.

If your still concerned it might be worth getting a second opinion.

Dan

romantic_thi3f
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Ausernsme,

Welcome to the forums and thanks for your post.

To answer your question - yes, absolutely. Not all people with anxiety will have panic attacks, and not all people with panic attacks will notice chest pain. It presents really differently with everyone.

It is really good that you've been talking with your GP and getting ECG's as it is good to rule out everything else. You can also get ECG's that are longer (24 hours) if a short one isn't picking anything up and you're still concerned. One thing that can be really helpful is trying to track some of that pain and see what makes it better/worse or if anything can seem to trigger it.

Hope this helps

QldMouse
Community Member

Oh yes, It seems to happen to me when I've been very anxious for an extended period, like today. Up awake with chest pain and a pounding headache aspirin does not fix right now.

I'm over 60 and have had every heart check known to mortal man in the past few months, I'm in great health apparently but am suffering more panic attacks in the past few weeks. The physical symptoms are very real and debilitating.

I hope you get to a happy place soon.

White_Rose
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Dear Ausernsme

Hello and welcome to the forum. It's great you have found your way here where lots of people have similar difficulties and can talk about them.

When you were getting checked out for heart problems did anyone mention costochondritis? It causes pain in the chest where the sternum meets the ribs although it can affect other ribs as well. Gets more painful if you take deep breaths. Can be worse at night when you are lying down. May be a good idea to sleep propped up a little. It is an inflammatory condition and usually treated with anti-inflammatory medication. Doesn't last long but may return depending on what you are doing. "The inflammation may have been brought on by a blow to the chest, lifting heavy objects, intense exercise, or an illness that made you cough and sneeze a lot. It often occurs during times of emotional stress".

If this has not been checked out it would be good to see your GP. I have had it a couple of times and it can be uncomfortable. Unfortunately I cannot take anti-inflammatory meds and need to rely on other pain relief. I thought it was a heart problem at first and had probably the same tests as you and everyone who has posted here. The doctors really concentrate on the most serious potential condition.

I found if I coughed a lot there was a chance my ribcage and sternum would start to hurt. I started coughing in church one Sunday because I had a throat tickle which would not go away. Eventually I went outside so I would not disturb others listening to the sermon. Someone spotted me leave and came after me very concerned. Eventually someone called an ambulance. So embarrassing. Nothing really wrong except trying to stop coughing.

I hope that helps.

Mary

However I am not a doctor so it would be best if you got this checked. If you do have costochondritis and do not know what has caused the pain it would be helpful to find out. Anxiety can exacerbate all the chest pain spectrum. Getting more anxious sets up more inflammation and so on.

Hello Mouse

Good to see you here again.

Mary

Hello Mary!!

Wow, first time I've posted in over a year and here you are, it is very nice to see your post. 🙂

I hope you are well and happy you lovely lady.

All the best.

Hello Mouse

I have to confess it is serendipitous my posting here. I usually start with New Posts and saw your name. Couldn't go past without saying hello.

Sadly I have received some bad news medically speaking. I have Multiple Myeloma which is a blood cancer. I have been getting treatment since March this year. No pain or anything of that nature. The treatment is to keep it under control, no cure yet but I am not about to shuffle off this mortal coil for a long time.

If you would like to chat about how you are going may I suggest you start your own thread? I hope all is well for you.

Mary

White_Rose
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Ausernsme

I see you have received posts from several people. Has any of this been helpful? It would be great if you let us know how you are going.

Sorry to hijack your thread to talk to Qld Mouse. It's always a lovely surprise to greet someone I knew on the forum a while ago.

Hope you are well.

Mary

QldMouse
Community Member

Dear Ausernsme,

Yes how are you doing? You said "doctors" but have you gone for a second opinion? After many years I've figured out doctors come in a very wide range, most are too busy and distracted so you have to push them to help you some times.

As friends have said above, there are many causes and you need to work on fixing yourself. How is your sleep going?

To answer your question again, yes absolutely you can have anxiety induced chest pain without a panic attack. I had a very bad day Sunday with multiple severe panic attacks. I didn't have an attack yesterday but I still have chest pain. Four days now but I'm slowly feeling better.

I hope you are too. All the best.

Starting a new thread Mary. 🙂