FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anxiety attack? Suddenly increase in anxiety

Laurie08
Community Member
Sorry this Is a long one.
I assume I have anxiety, though I've never been to a mental health doctor about it.

Its usually manageable or to be realistic, ignorable; but I recently (Aug 2019) started having I guess heart palpitations and shortness of breath when there is a build up. It started when I had to do a job application and interview for a position higher than mine. Change is hard and I had just been getting comfortable after 6 months in a different position, but felt the pressure(encouragement) from work and parents to apply. I didnt get the position which I'm kind of relieved about; but now there is the expectation for me to up skill at work through a Diploma education. I dont mind so much it will be good for my resume but It is inducing some stress to think about.

I went to the doctors and found out I'm very iron deficient and B12 deficient, which I've researched can increase symptoms too. I also started having heart palpitations and shortness of breath if i drink too much coffee or have it in the afternoon. This is strange for me because up until August I found coffee relaxing and would drink multiple a day. Now it feels like I crash hard and my mind notices when my body is falling asleep which let's off adrenaline and keeps me awake.

Just yesterday I was feeling jittery at 3pm. I had 2 coffees that day before 9:30am but overall had had a nice fun family day relaxing decorating cookies and watching movies. I noted I felt jittery before my drive home and was provided some relaxation lavender oil.
I ended up heading off home which involved driving down a freeway at 110km/h. I started zoning out, sweating palms and feet and my heart was going crazy so I had to pull over. Luckily there were no cars immediately behind me and I was able to stop safely.
I calmed myself down with breathing turned the music down and aircon up and continued, but was still in my thoughts about what if it happened again...so naturally it did. I had reached a part where there was no where to pull over, heart beating madly, sweating, trying to control my breath, pins and needles throughout my whole body... I managed to take an exolit, put on my hazards And drive long enough to find a parking area. I was absoloutely shaking when I stopped.
I called my parents and my brother came an picked me up so I'm all fine now besides exhausted and my chest still aches.
3 Replies 3

Laurie08
Community Member

I guess this was really just to explain everything that happened because telling my parents scared them and they look at me all worried and try to get me to talk to a psychologist (another one of my anxieties is talking in person about me or arranging appointments lol)
Was this an anxiety or panic attack? Has anyone found that poor posture or periods contribute to the way they are feeling, on top of diet and excercise?

This feeling is just really new and confronting. I feel like I just need a week away from everything

SCoo
Community Member

I have GAD and have also panic disorder, when I have a panic attack I start to feel cold with pins and needles and everything seems to be rushing by me and my heart feels like it’s going beat out of my chest and I feel like I’m loosing control.

Something similar happened to me on a long drive, my arm went really cold and had pins and needles all over. I calmed myself down but like you I was so scared of it happening again it did!
I’ve found breathing techniques and apps for meditation really helpful.

Here_I_am
Community Member

Hi Laurie08,

This sounds like a really horrible experience and certainly one that would induce some anxiety on its own as you worry it might happen again!

You mention that one of your fears is discussing yourself with other people. I do however want to encourage you to do just this - in the exact same way you have here on the forum - with a GP. If you can't bring yourself to speak truthfully with a GP about what has gone on for you, do you feel as though you could print a snapshot of your post explaining your experience and give this to your GP to read either before you arrive for an appointment or whilst you sit awkwardly as he or she reads it?

The reason I mention this as such an important step in the process is because anxiety, depression, panic disorders and many more 'things' that fit these criteria are very manageable and people do recover from them all the time. Many more learn to live full and happy lives whilst managing their conditions. Very few however miraculously get better on their own, and some type of support and intervention is often required.

Posture, diet and exercise are highly unlikely to be the cause of the symptoms you described, but improving all three is extremely likely to reduce the chances and the intensity of any future episodes. There is a reason meditation and mindfulness activities start by getting someone to sit up straight and have their legs either crossed whilst sitting on the floor or flat on the floor whilst sitting in a chair. Good posture leads to proper breathing; poor posture constricts the airflow and we simply have to work harder to breathe. Think about the difference between breathing when sitting in a beanbag versus standing up. Beanbag breathing is actually a chore, whereas breathing whilst standing at a window and looking out at the scenery of the street you live on or at your neighbor as they mow their lawn is simple and automatic. Food is similarly helpful: junk in = junk out.

I do however want to encourage you to start at the beginning, and stress that it could be very beneficial for you to seek out a professional opinion on what is going on for you. As difficult as this may be for you, the benefit of starting the ball rolling in this direction will likely be very positive.

Talk soon.